aberdeen-music

Sunday at The Moorings....

unbroken

Right, so we played at the moorings on Sunday, and you guys did a live recording...

How do we get a hold of it...

We don't really want to pay 100 a song, so we were wondering if we could get a copy of the rough data to mix elsewhere....

Would this be possible...?

xXscottXx

Read the Live Recording Sticky Thread.

Track dumps take bottom priority, so much so that we've suspended doing them. We only have a limited window to work in. Right now we have a 4 week backlog to get through, by that time we'll have overwritten your stuff.

No offence but if you want a cheapo recording then book time in a studio or bring along a minidisc.

Aberdeen is the only town where asking for a stereo buss mix from the desk is like asking for a few gallons of blood from the sound engineer aswell :D I think in 10 years I've got live feeds twice, once at an outdoor fest where CLS were doing the sound, its one of the best live recordings I've ever heard of my band....the other time was at the Dungeon (students union) it sounded okay-ish....some places I've played have had a great sounding stereo mix bussed to the snake onstage so you could just jack in your tape deck and tape away at your convenience....

The sound system is linear so we're augmenting the stage sound rather than overpowering it with loads of distorted PA meaning that the backline is contributing to the final mix. Listen to either the backline of stereo bus in isolation and they'll sound unbalanced.

All our output channels are already in use with most of them hooked up to our state of the art 24-track digital recorder. This is via tdiff connector (like a parallel post) and it's not feasible to split off individual channels to a mini-disc. It's not a case of just jacking into the desk. The output is in digital. The analogue aux channels are already assigned to the monitors and various FX.

I suspose you're going to ask if we sell Royal Dutch and Tartan Special next, in cans of course.

Of course the moorings is a special case as they don't have an analogue desk...I was referring to venues where you are pointing at the "2 TR OUT" phono jacks saying "pleeeeeeaaasssee" :D

I agree the stereo mix, if taking stage levels into consideration, will usually just be a dirge in the background with very loud vocals! Most soundboard tapes end up like this anyway, the best bet is usually to set up two good quality condensors (or a single stereo) and experiment with the best position. If you stand in the middle of a packed gig at Moorings you'll hear a sound on par with the CD's on the jukebox (maybe not performance wise ;)) So it would be a good place to set up flat response mics. My only problem setting up mics at gigs is a. where to put them (stands compromise space, and gaffa tape can't always be trusted for securingthem to walls/roofs, and its advisable to aim the mics at the stage instead of the floor) b. risk of someone stealing them (bad) or worse, c. some drunken idiot who puts one in their mouth for the duration of the gig, sharing it with their friends and making sea-lion noises...they would have been aswell nicking your mics cos they're now shafted, plus you have a shite tape....