aberdeen-music

aberdeen-music - time for a change?

Guest Zeenat Aman

Guest Zeenat Aman
Flaming - Material that is knowingly defamatory' date=' illegal, abusive, racist, threatening or harassing, is strictly prohibited. As with anything, you, as a registered member, should use good common sense when posting. Posts and threads containing personal attacks on other members will be edited/closed/deleted at the forum moderators discretion.

Remember - these rules are in place to keep the online community a welcoming, friendly and rewarding place to visit and contribute to. Your co-operation and agreement to follow such rules is critical to the success and well being of the community and so please respect what we are trying to achieve by having these rules in place.[/quote']

The whole place seems to be dissapearing up it's own argumentative hole... May I suggest that from, say Monday, that people maybe pay attention and adhere to the above rules as the site/forums do not appear to be the fun and welcoming place they should be.

The levels of disrespect amongst members seems to be reaching a new and constant level, enough is enough dont you agree? I think that acting with goodwill and respect toward other forum members would make this place so much better and useful!

Best wishes

Philip :)

Guest stuartmaxwell

during my time with aberdeen-music.com i have proved myself as a loyal servant and a great ambassador fot the site, i for one think this is the greatest idea ever and have every belief that this will work.

why didnt we think of it before??

yes

People following the forum rules? I'll die of shock when that happens!

Seriously though, I am not particularly concerned with the current arguments and slagging matches going on just now. Past history indicates that this web site goes through periods of where everyone seems to be at each other's throats and then this slowly subsides - usually after someone has been banned for pushing things too far.

As it happens though, because the web site seems to be getting busier, I do intend to recruit another 2 - 3 moderators to help keep an eye on things and address any complaints/reported posts etc.

People have been considerably at each others throats lately, but really, there's been months of calm on here - so it's probably just frustrations boiling over to a point. As Neil said, the site goes through periods like this, and I think it's pretty understandable all in all.

I'd be a lot more worried/whatever if the arguments weren't just the same old usual ones - if it was "new" members of the site at each others throats, then there'd be cause for concern, I think - but it's not, so really, there's not much to worry about.

Guest Zeenat Aman
People following the forum rules? I'll die of shock when that happens!

Seriously though' date=' I am not particularly concerned with the current arguments and slagging matches going on just now. Past history indicates that this web site goes through periods of where everyone seems to be at each other's throats and then this slowly subsides - usually after someone has been banned for pushing things too far.

As it happens though, because the web site seems to be getting busier, I do intend to recruit another 2 - 3 moderators to help keep an eye on things and address any complaints/reported posts etc.[/quote']

With more new people coming to the site, what ashame that they will probably end up getting caught up in the whole 'lets be an asshole for the sake of it' or they might innocently post a link to their band with the hope of getting some constructive feedback, only for it to get slated in a distasteful manner instead.

I think that new members tend to join in with whats already there, and whats already there is pretty bad in my opinion.

Not a dig at the moderators or Neil, as the members make a forum what it is. Generally, this one happens to be riven with negativity and animosity etc.

OK, from my Moderator's point of view...

The current state of these boards is overall no better or worse than I've seen it before. But, there has however been quite a rise in petty squabbles by certain members, which have been more of a pain in the arse to watch rather than anything that needs to be moderated. In these cases things have pretty much been left to run their course. If you want, we could be more strict with what is tolerated, but I personally wouldn't really want to go down that road. I'd rather that the people posting on these boards were doing it in a positive sense which will further our collective cause, whether this means being supportive, critical, piss-taking or whatever, as long as it's ultimately helpful. Or, we could carry on with pointless sniping which helps no-one, and gives us more work to do, because more things will have to be moderated. Which is better? S'up to you really.

This is purely my opinion.

Guest Zeenat Aman
I'd rather that the people posting on these boards were doing it in a positive sense which will further our collective cause' date=' whether this means being supportive, critical, piss-taking or whatever, as long as it's ultimately helpful.[/quote']

I'd like the above please...

The moderating kinda goes with the flow, but it's there when it's really needed, which is a good thing. It's up to the members to act with goodwill and show some respect, but if folks cant be bothered or aren't interested, then so be it.

see this is what happens when you stick a load of frustrated musicians into one room! ah there's always a lot of slanging matches on here, i think the levels of debate are a bit poor at the moment but these things do go round in cycles.....

Forget time for a change, how about changing the time, I nearly died of shock when I thought I'd arisen from my slumber before midday.

Back on topic.

Who the hell would visit a forum where everyone was nice and respectful to each other? Where's the fun in that? These are musicians and fans we're talking about, non-conformity has been the bedrock (see what I did there) of popular music since it's invention.

I think the mods are doing a good job walking the line between enforcing the rules and letting the discussions (yea, I know, stretching the term) flow.

Like a football match, everyone (observers and participants) get frustrated and annoyed when the play is stopped too often for petty matters.

Mind you, we haven't had a good banning in a while, I shall collect some dry wood and heap it into an untidy pile in readiness for the next one.