aberdeen-music

cool edit (or adobe audition) help

delboy

i'm needing to transfer a cassette recording onto cool edit, how is this done? can i just rig the cassette player into the computer? was gonna use the old trial and error message but if anyone can be of any help that would be most appreciated!

also how do you burn files from cool edit onto CD???

Guest lime ruined my life

if you do that you need to change audio input from microphone to line in, in the audio mixer thing, which should be in your system tray.

do this by clicking, options>properties clicking recording, press apply.

all the "ins" will now apear in the volume control instead of the outs, and you can select which one to record from clicking the box you want.

you can probaly select the in device in your audio suite, for each channel recording.

anyway, sorry if you already knew this.

good luck.

if you do that you need to change audio input from microphone to line in' date=' in the audio mixer thing, which should be in your system tray.

do this by clicking, options>properties clicking recording, press apply.

all the "ins" will now apear in the volume control instead of the outs, and you can select which one to record from clicking the box you want.

you can probaly select the in device in your audio suite, for each channel recording.

anyway, sorry if you already knew this.

good luck.[/quote']

cheers for that, got it working using the headphone socket on my tape player - only thing is i cant hear the tape when playing! (not really a major problem as i can time what i'm recording before recording it anyway!).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3278&item=7307067630&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Pick up one of these for your PC, better quality than a bog standard sound card, and you can directly monitor the input source. You can also take an optical digital in/out for transferring to/from digital devices (such as DAT, Mini Disc walkman etc etc!) INVESTMENT!

Use the LINE OUT/PHONES OUT on the tapeplayed and stick it into the LINE IN on your soundcard.

DO NOT use the Microphone socket on the soundcard for input as this has a preamp built in and will produce shit quality sound from the tape player.

You might mind that you only get Mono sound through the Line In though

mic in - mono with either hard or soft preamp

line in - stereo line level signal.

del - you can monitor whats being recorded, by using the monitor button on the track your recording..

ok forget that above post, i'm in the process of converting some old 4 track recordings that need cleaning up, i'm using the old trial and error method but finding it a bit of a minefield! any help on which effects etc to go for when trying to clean up an old cassette would be most appreciated!

theres software you can get especially for such tasks, but my minds a blank for names.

sorry.

google might help, but probably not, try computer music's webpage.

aye i used to have one and it was pretty cack, i was figuring i could just do it in cool edit, i mean its not like these recordings need to be super polished or anything since no-one but me gets to hear them! had some sucess pissing about on the program...

me mate is online at the mo and he uses cool edit every day so i shall ask him

ta for your help btw.

ok forget that above post' date=' i'm in the process of converting some old 4 track recordings that need cleaning up, i'm using the old trial and error method but finding it a bit of a minefield! any help on which effects etc to go for when trying to clean up an old cassette would be most appreciated![/quote']

You can do a lot with careful gating, and band pass filtering. The usual tendancy is to overdo the 'clean up'.

Depends what you are trying to improve - reduce tape hiss, compensate for a poor recording, unwanted background noise, distrotion etc..

On a budget:

BIAS SoundSoap http://www.bias-inc.com/products/soundsoap/

Semi-pro:

Waves Restoration bundle http://www.waves.com/content.asp?id=59

Pro:

Sadie

cool edit is a multitracking program, for recording.

cubase also does this, and it also has midi.

fl is easier for starting up, i prefer ableton live to anything else, it's really really intuitive, and powerful.

whats a good programme for mixing?

i programme and record everything in cubase...and then mix everything in vegas because i like the panning and volume lines/points.

unfortunatly my copy of vegas has no eq, so uhhh...my mixes sound kinda shit.

can anyone recommend what i should use. also...i have a budget of about 0.

i programme and record everything in cubase...and then mix everything in vegas because i like the panning and volume lines/points.

unfortunatly my copy of vegas has no eq' date=' so uhhh...my mixes sound kinda shit.

can anyone recommend what i should use. also...i have a budget of about 0.[/quote']

Cubase is as good as anything else for mixdowns, the EQ's on the channel strips are crap though, i prefer 3rd party (vst) EQ's / filters / compressors. Personally I do everything in FLstudio now because it's a lot faster to work with than SX or Logic.

Guest Zeenat Aman
Is cool edit a decent programme for music creation?

All my demos are done with cool edit and one mic. Listen to them here' date=' www.sundaramusic.com, and hear the results for yourself.

I dont know much about the other programs, but I like the simplicity of cool edit and the ability to chop up the waveforms etc.

:)

can anyone recommend what i should use. also...i have a budget of about 0.

Do you mean DJ mixing of 2 or 3 simultaneous sources' date=' or mixing different components of a track into a final stereo file ?

If its DJ mixing there is Dekstacy [url']http://www.sonophile.com./ which is free (OSX only)

Most folks are using NI Traktor, or Stanton Final Scratch, but these aren't free..

Steinberg Nuendo 2 is probably the best for multitrack mixing, although its not free either..

You can do a reasonable job in Cubase.. and I guess since you've already got it, it will be a good bit better than any shareware/freeware app and not cost any more dosh..

unfortunatly my copy of vegas has no eq' date=' so uhhh...my mixes sound kinda shit.

can anyone recommend what i should use. also...i have a budget of about 0.[/quote']

can't you use waves plugins for eq compressors etc, or t racks for mastering, as vst's in vegas?

both available on torrent.....

my problem is that no plugins work in vegas.

but i really like being able to place panning points.

which cubase doesnt have. its too much hastle to record all the panning movements into cubase by hand.

i should really just get a newer version of cubase. but y'know....zero bucks.

its for multitrack mixing btw.

my problem is that no plugins work in vegas.

but i really like being able to place panning points.

which cubase doesnt have. its too much hastle to record all the panning movements into cubase by hand.

i should really just get a newer version of cubase. but y'know....zero bucks.

its for multitrack mixing btw.

i think you can get points for panning in cubase, is there not a button with a picture of a line and a point on it? what version are you using? it's not that difficult to get a copy of sx2 if you're not too bothered about being a theif.

use ableton live 4, it's better than anything. it's only about 30 mb, and you can download the trial from the website.