aberdeen-music

Slide tuition?

Tav

• 2 weeks later...
Well could you give me some pointers towards the non-crap?

yeah, no worries- there's a couple depending on the style you're interested in. the bob brozman series (3 dvd's in all) are excellent for the old delta slide on an acoustic guitar. the more modern stuff is really well covered in warren haynes' instructional types- real electric stuff in the duane allman vein. two good places to start, not knowing anything about the style you're interested in.

but, if you've got a good ear, any of those tapes will get you started with the basics of the technique- it's the same, acoustic or electric. Or, there's always the George Thorogood method, "just turn it up and wail..."

pm me- i teach too, and i'll dig for more good videos. really helps to watch someone close up.

yeah' date=' no worries- there's a couple depending on the style you're interested in. the bob brozman series (3 dvd's in all) are excellent for the old delta slide on an acoustic guitar. the more modern stuff is really well covered in warren haynes' instructional types- real electric stuff in the duane allman vein. two good places to start, not knowing anything about the style you're interested in.

but, if you've got a good ear, any of those tapes will get you started with the basics of the technique- it's the same, acoustic or electric. Or, there's always the George Thorogood method, "just turn it up and wail..."

pm me- i teach too, and i'll dig for more good videos. really helps to watch someone close up.[/quote']

I've been considering getting some lessons on general playing recently or maybe slide. Just to give my learning some direction. I've already tried the GT...method...Bad To The Bone...lots of distortion...wailing is fun for a while but I'd like to learn some real technique. .... da na na na na BADDD TO THE BONNNEEE!!!

I've already tried the GT...method...Bad To The Bone...lots of distortion...wailing is fun for a while but I'd like to learn some real technique. .... da na na na na BADDD TO THE BONNNEEE!!!

then your on your way! look here first:

http://www.hotlicks.com/slideguitar.htm

Arlen Roth's 'Slide Guitar' is a great place to start (I had his book with the floppy vinly record probably before you were born and THAT was great, this is better- and it's all fundamentals). It gets you into playing in standard tuning, plus open E and open G- which you *gotta* know, that's where all the fun is. If you work out whats in that video, you'll be able to start working things out from cd too.

The others are either a mix of blues and slide, or more advanced. Once you've got the basics down anything here is fair game.

good luck!