aberdeen-music

I'm sorry but...

Guest tv tanned

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Yeah I guess anyone having suicidal thoughts should just fuck off and die in a corner quietly' date=' or cut themselves up out of sight, yeah?

I have to say, I'm pretty disgusted but not surprised, at the insensitivity and lack of understanding being exhibited by some people in this thread. You've obviously never been there yourselves.[/quote']

As has already been well said by others in this thread, there are two kinds of "suicide attempt". The first is a genuine attempt, characterised by its high success rate. The second is your bog-standard, cliched, cry-for-help wrist-scratcher. This does not seem a genuine attempt. I've seen plenty of the attention-seeker in my work as a mental health carer so I fucking know what I'm talking about here. I have every empathy for those in genuine distress. You soon see through the manipulators who are just fucking coming it, otherwise you'd make a pretty useless support worker. My job is to support and encourage people leaving institutions to achieve their independence, we don't fucking pander to those who are indulging.

I've been through some pretty rough lows in my time, yes. However, I took what seems a rather novel approach in this day and age of recreational emotion. I shut the fuck up and just got on with things. I emerged a much stronger person for it. Not fashionable I know, seems that being neurotic is something to aspire to these days. I choose not to let things get the better of me.

As has already been well said by others in this thread' date=' there are two kinds of "suicide attempt". The first is a genuine attempt, characterised by its high success rate. The second is your bog-standard, cliched, cry-for-help wrist-scratcher. This does not seem a genuine attempt. I've seen plenty of the attention-seeker in my work as a mental health carer so I fucking know what I'm talking about here. I have every empathy for those in genuine distress. You soon see through the manipulators who are just fucking coming it, otherwise you'd make a pretty useless support worker. My job is to support and encourage people leaving institutions to achieve their independence, we don't fucking pander to those who are indulging.

I've been through some pretty rough lows in my time, yes. However, I took what seems a rather novel approach in this day and age of recreational emotion. I shut the fuck up and just got on with things. I emerged a much stronger person for it. Not fashionable I know, seems that being neurotic is something to aspire to these days. I choose not to let things get the better of me.[/quote']

"get a grip, pull yourself together" etc doesn't really cut it.

Regardless of motive, if someone is going to the extent of cutting themselves, or overdosing, no matter if they call someone for help, they still have a problem and need help.

Nobody enjoys being miserable.

I wonder what you consider to be a "manipulator" who is just "playing up"? How do you determine that?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
"get a grip' date=' pull yourself together" etc doesn't really cut it.

Regardless of motive, if someone is going to the extent of cutting themselves, or overdosing, no matter if they call someone for help, they still have a problem and need help.

Nobody enjoys being miserable.

I wonder what you consider to be a "manipulator" who is just "playing up"? How do you determine that?[/quote']

I ain't saying "get a grip" or anything hackneyed like that, the point is that giving people lots of sympathy and attention if they pull a stunt like that sends out completely the wrong message. They equate self-harming with nice things such as tea and sympathy so they'll have no qualms about choosing to repeat harmful behaviour.

I also question the fact that nobody "enjoys" feeling miserable. I've seen it meet a need in certain people, they get SOMETHING out of it.

Obviously, I can't go into too much detail here, but I'll give you an example. Someone I used to work with liked the old 10 paracetamols a go. They CHOSE to neck paras, while having enough other drugs to knock out an elephant or two. They knew exactly what they were doing, deliberately not taking enough to do actual harm, just enough to get the attention they were seeking.

You wouldn't last 5 minutes in a job like this. They would run rings around you.

come on' date=' its all there.

1)People call you gay

2)You're form Stonehaven

3)You've been spotted wearing make-up at Vomitus gigs

4)You've been accused of shit stabbing

5)You tend to stop making big speeches and prefer to revert back to cat fights, insulting the other parties beauty methods.

come on, you're a poof!!

and until you say "I'm not a fucking poof" you shall continue to be a poof.

Don't go and kill yourself though. If you fail at suicide, you'd be a right poof.[/quote']

1: They dont really....i made it up to look hard infront of 13year old girls.....

2: Thats not my fault.....

3: I had wondered if you'd noticed......damn

4: That was rather funny

5: Hahahahhahahahahah

6: Here goes 'im not a fucking poof'

7: Suicide is only fun at the weekends.....

8: Its shit that drakes is shutting and i dont get to play a gig with you guys.....

I ain't saying "get a grip" or anything hackneyed like that' date=' the point is that giving people lots of sympathy and attention if they pull a stunt like that sends out completely the wrong message. They equate self-harming with nice things such as tea and sympathy so they'll have no qualms about choosing to repeat harmful behaviour.

I also question the fact that nobody "enjoys" feeling miserable. I've seen it meet a need in certain people, they get SOMETHING out of it.

Obviously, I can't go into too much detail here, but I'll give you an example. Someone I used to work with liked the old 10 paracetamols a go. They CHOSE to neck paras, while having enough other drugs to knock out an elephant or two. They knew exactly what they were doing, deliberately not taking enough to do actual harm, just enough to get the attention they were seeking.

You wouldn't last 5 minutes in a job like this. They would run rings around you.[/quote']

So what are you suggesting? Ignore them, tell them to fuck off, watch them die? Call them a fucking arsehole? I know plenty of people that have attempted suicide, some more than once, and some who actually died because they jumped infront of a train or hung themselves. I know the difference between a real suicide and a cry for help, but what else can you do but sympathise? What do you normally do in such cases? Send them on their way with a pack of SSRI's?

Hrmmm, lunch

3133catnoodles.jpg

Guest Jake Wifebeater
So what are you suggesting? Ignore them' date=' tell them to fuck off, watch them die? Call them a fucking arsehole? I know plenty of people that have attempted suicide, some more than once, and some who actually died because they jumped infront of a train or hung themselves. I know the difference between a real suicide and a cry for help, but what else can you do but sympathise? What do you normally do in such cases? Send them on their way with a pack of SSRI's?[/quote']

There is a world of difference between sympathy and empathy. I empathise, I do not sympathise as that's what we call the "Poor pet" syndrome, which is an insult to people's intelligence.

You don't have the monopoly on hard-luck stories here. My best friend hanged himself at the ripe old age of 21. It was an awful thing to go through, sure. There was no warning whatsoever, he had never complained of anything in his life.

Just a thought: if someone is repeatedly attempting suicide, then they don't seem to be doing it with much conviction, do they? It's a pretty easy thing to do if you put your mind to it, you know, there are some almost fool-proof ways of doing it. Are you sure they actually wanted to be successful? Hanging is pretty much guaranteed to succeed, scoffing a few tablets or scratching your arms won't, and people know this full well.

Again, I can't be too specific, but if people choose to self-harm, we phone for an ambulance. People are responsible for their own actions and the consequences of them. Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh to you, but this is the real world.