aberdeen-music

guitar amps

Guest lime

guitar amps/ burman amps?

guh, i have a laney all valve aor 50watt head, its ok, except i also have a marshal 4x10 cab.

sadly, they dont seem to go well that much (far too peircy toppy, the eq has treble and presence set to zero, middle to 2, and bass to 10...), im keen to keep the cab, its a nice colour, and handier for moving than a 4x12.

also the amp has no reverb, so im looking to replace the amp.

so, suggestions for amp heads that are built for conjunction with a 4x10, or will go well, or just suggestions for amps to try with it, im on a budget here, around 300 tops, but ideally ill buy second hand, so itll be cheaper than cheap.

Originally posted by Tav

Laney TF700 they are pretty decent, Capt. Toms have them and they get played just about all day solid. They sound good and are pretty versatile...also someone is selling one second hand on here.

i rented that from cpt toms for a day to check it out before i bought the amp i have, i really didnt like it, it sounded awful imo.

id be well up for getting another valve amp, except itd have to have reverb, and go well with my 4x10.

i just dont have any idea what...

(p.s im not incredibly keen on marshal amps)

Try an old fender head (bassman, bandmaster, showman?)

They're a little expensive though.

Fender make a lot of all-valve 4x10" combos though.

You could afford one if you sold the Laney and the cab.

One of them with a big muff, Rat or tubescreamer wouldn't sound like a marshall either since you don't like the sound of them.

Just an idea.

Craig

http://www.musicalinstrumentsales.co.uk/gitamps.html

there are a few Fender amps on there.

One thing though, watch out for Twins. They are really fucking loud and you need to crank them up above number 4 or something to get good distortion with your pedals. Some have 1/4 power switches which drop them to 25W. I know the grey face plate ones with red buttons do.

It's a lot more useable then.

The matamp headfor sale there (V14, 300) might be what you're looking for. I know a lot of Stoner rock bands use them, so I doubt they're too trebley. Very similar to Orange amps, (hand)made by the same guy. www.matamp.co.uk I think.

He says he likes valve amps...

they're easily available for under 300

Another option is a Laney LC15. Relativly low powered but easily loud enough to be giggable when wired up to your cabinet. (i used to gig with a 20W 1x12" combo and never had a lack of volume problem) Clean headroom might be though.

About 170 new. Make sure and go for the reverb version as it has an output for an extension cab, the normal version doesn't.

Plus, it weighs almost nothing so you can cart it over to your pal's on the bus for a practice easily.

They make a TT20 head too. Might be in your price range.

Maybe you just need another cabinet? What about a marshall 2x12". They're not too expensive.

maybe, but i like the look of my cabinet, its sorta vintagey looking, i dont think it actually is. (by vintage i mean the cloth is sorta sandy coloured, as is the body of the cab).

it probably is the cab, being a 4x10 its going to be more toppy than a 4x12, the laney was probably made for a 4x12, is what im thinking.

i was considering a cheap combo which i could use in extension with my cab actually, ill check that out,

thanks a lot anyway, youv been quite a bit of help.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by GraemeC:

I would strongly suggest that an amp set at 0 trebble and 10 bass being too toppy through anything ....there is a fault somewhere down the line. Marshall 4x10cabs are not "toppy"

I would get the amp checked out before spending money on a new one.

indeed

that does sound rather like a fucked amp

also

the recommended set up of a fender valve combo (such as a deville) plus a RAT or a Big Muff is a good one, its not what i use but i know it works well for alternative and most types of rock...more versatile/indivual than a Marshall set-up...they look nice too.

"Burman 50 Watt amplifier head. All valve, hand made British amplifer. Very rare, built about 1980.Single channel with reverb and three stage gain controls. The output section uses two KT88 valves which give about 70 watts clean!! This amp has just been completely re-valved and serviced by Matamp and is in excellent condition. A usable collectors item."

seeing as the matamp has been sold, "a while ago and its still up, grr"

whats your guys honest oppinion of this amp? it looks pretty sweet, my only worry is he says "collectors item", makes me think it might be a bit old, although he does say just serviced and re-valved.

do you think id be cheaky to try knock him down to 300?