aberdeen-music

Any apprenctice sparkies on here?

Kai

Is there anyone on here who's good at doing basic electrical jobs? I'm crap at all that stuff, but it seems a bit like overkill to call out a proper electrician just to fit a halogen light in my kitchen. There's only a few wires that need to be connected. I mean, I passed Higher Physics, but it did take me three attempts to wire up a plug correctly in the practicals. So if anyone thinks they can do a better job of it than me (i.e all of you), and would like to earn some pocket money, do get in touch.

I'd consider it. Did a good bit of the wiring work in Dr Drakes, so I know what I'm doing.

But basically, red or brown wire goes to the L (Live) terminal, black or blue wire goes to the N (Neutral) terminal, and the bare metal or green and yella covered wire goes to the Earth terminal (usually attached to the metal body of the appliance if it's made of metal). If the Earth wire from the cable is unsheathed, then you need to either wrap it with good insulating tape where it's exposed (don't wrap the end that goes into the terminal though!!), or preferably use some green/yella coloured earth sheath to cover it like a sparky would.

Simple!