aberdeen-music

John Peel Dies

Guest tv tanned

i can honestly never feel being this grieved about someone i didnt know dying but on reflection i think it was the way he touched so many people in so many different ways and was a genuine bloke who loved what he did. the gap he's leaving is too big to ever fill but i think we can all learn a lot about the man's attitude and the great music he championed. but he did it all out of an unrivelled passion of wanting to share with us the music he loved' date=' never looking to follow trends.

luckily enough i taped a show recently cos he had the wedding present in session on it, i was swelling up listening in the early hours this morning, he played one of my favourite records of all time 'aikea guinea' by the cocteau twins and told tales of losing his glasses and spilling someones pint in the only way he knew how. i hope radio 1 keep playing the session tracks in his slot for the next few weeks, i thought lamacq did a fine job last night, you could tell he was nearly swelling up on air but he kept it together.

if there's any good to come out of this maybe radio 1 might realise a lot of the music he championed deserves more airplay.

"theres music i like and music I dont, its as simple as that' John Peel 1939 - 2004[/quote']

We are gutted but imagine how the boy gedge is, he hardly missed a Peel show in over 25years. When he was abroad or on his tour dates, his friends recorded Peel for him.

I think DG will never be the same again................ he's just devastated

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/tvseq/newsnight/newsnight.ram

Peel tribute on Newsnight - starts after 17 mins. And yes MES was a mess who seemed to have a tongue problem last night. Maybe MES & live(ish) TV just dont go together...

Dave

Mark E. Smith has never been one who to give the greatest of interviews to media types anyway, he's always been one to be awkward and difficult and he has always been a facetitious sarky grumpy-faced git and this appearance of his was no exception

if you don't anything about MES and The Fall then you would probably think he was an arsehole and a twat the way he acted but its nothing i haven't seen or read or heard before, i am certain John Peel would've probably applauded him anyway because he generally thought Mark E. Smith was a genius and one of the best frontmen in Britain

plus i don't think he's the kind of guy who likes to indulge in the usual "he was so great, he was a star, a legend" kind of platitudes that so many people in the media went on about Peel. i think he was probably just being realistic about his relationship with John Peel and told it like it was

just because Peel loved The Fall and worshipped the ground they walked on didn't mean to say Mark E. Smith knew anything more than anyone else knew about the man himself, i think the pair of them had a mutual respect for each other but i don't think they were bosom buddies.

he did say that Peel got him into reggae and German music through listening to his show so i think thats maybe the most sentimental thing you'll get of Mark E. Smith, i am sure he'd rather keep his own personal feelings to himself instead of doing it through a Newsnight Q&A

to be honest with ya, i reckon John Peel was probably laughing at Mark E. Smith making Gavin Esler squirm a bit in his Newsnight chair anyway;)