aberdeen-music

Building Guitar: Warmoth Project

Tav

So I've FINALLY got round to building a guitar. Currently in the earliest of stages, buying the parts. Today I purchased a fantastic and rather original looking Telecaster body from Warmoth's "showcase" section.

It's Alder finished in Gold Top, much like you would find on a Gold Top Les Paul. It's top routed in the "usual" Telecaster way. So it'll have a Telecaster style bridge and two single coil pick ups.

Here's some pictures of the body and one of a suggested way of mounting the hardware.

pt269A.jpg

pt269B.jpg

pt269c.jpg

I'm going for a maple neck. Graphite nut to fit in with my gold/black theme. Black tuners...probably some Gotoh Kulsons. Graph Tech string trees. Telecaster head stock shape. Not sure about what to do inlay wise. Black dots are a little too common. Might get something done at the 12th fret as a bare fret board only looks good on a darker kind of wood. Perhaps two small dots towards the bass side or maybe something a little more exciting...open to suggestions on 12th fret inlay ideas.

stewmac have recently started selling the stuff for making a pickup if i am not mistaken

for the neck, are you going to get the frets fitted and finished off nicely yourself? or will you get it done professionally, i remember reading in a magazine a while ago (guitar buyer i think) that one problem with people buying parts guitars is they forget that the neck will need setup properly and have all the frets done nicely before it will play well...

David

I will probably get someone to do the set up for me as I want it to be most excellent. Then in future I am doing to start doing things more myself till who knows...might be doing the whole thing. Certainly going to wire assemble most of this one myself. Ohh any one know what I could used for putting graphics on headstock...like transfers or something?

Guest lime ruined my life

dunno about decals but im going to design my own stencil and spraypaint onto the headstock.

i just got some lovely tung oil. mmmm, turns out i coudlnt find anyone who sells niktrocellulose in uk, and they wont fly it from usa cos its combustable, so its a pure tung oil neck for me, prefered to of had polymerised tung oil, but i had a hard enough job finding just pure tung oil, and the guy in the shop said it took him years to source someone to get it from. ohwell.

my brother made an electric when he was 14/15. it took him about a year cause he did it at the school he was at. But when i say he made it

he made it from blocks of wood (from scratch as it were)

that guitar cost him about 75 quid to make

its in the shape of a srat but its fucking ace

perfectly done

learn how to make one properly dude, then it will be really great