aberdeen-music

Midge Ure

jester1470

I'm just back from seeing Midge's acoustic shoirt set (4 songs) and Q&A session at the Lemon Tree, what a nice and interesting guy. It was great to hear Vienna done live, believe it or not despite having been to 3 of his gigs I'd never yet actually seen him play. He was charming, told some great stories and for me showed a great sense of humour when he played the first line of Joe Dolce's 'Shuddupa your Face'.

It was good to see him again, and he is one of the most talented musicians Scotland have ever produced, he moved from Rock in Thin Lizzy to Pop in Slick to Punk in the Rich Kids, and then into electropop with Ultravox, not that many people who are that versatile. He has also produced some stuinning work.

If the only thing he ever did was co-write the Band Aid single then he would have assured a place in rock history, although Geldof was the public face Midge did as much to organise Live Aid and is one of Scotland's ost underated musicians, multi-talented and lovely bloke, not many of them around ;)

Cheers

Stuart

Fuck i would have loved to seen him play ... was it advertised at all?

It was part of the release of his new book, done through Ottakers, only 4 quid to see an acoustic Vienna, it was superb, he's playing some acoustic dates next year he was sayiong the only Scottish one so far is Dunfermline, but I was trying to recommend Drummonds as a possibility.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest davetherave

I thought he handled the drunken prat in the audience very well too, what a nice bloke, he even signed my guitar for me. The book is a good read, and gives an insight into the music industry without any pretentious crap! Hope he plays the lemon tree on one of his solo tours?

Cheers

Dave

I thought he handled the drunken prat in the audience very well too' date=' what a nice bloke, he even signed my guitar for me. The book is a good read, and gives an insight into the music industry without any pretentious crap! Hope he plays the lemon tree on one of his solo tours?

Cheers

Dave[/quote']

The drunken guy was class, very funny, loved the 'I only came out to get a pint of milk' comment. I was surprised to see that there seemed to be a lot more people there than were at his last music hall gig. I was speaking to his management last night and they have a new DVD out in March so will be doing a full tour in May/Jun possibly.

I've got a lot of time for Midge, Jo was lucky enough to support him last year a few times and he was always a nice, friendly and professional guy. I always think its a shame that more people don't give him a chance, its a shame to see a guy of his calibre playing every night to under 500 people. That being said I would imagine on last nights performance that there would be a good market for a 2-2 1/2 hour spoken word acoustic show, like last ngith format with questions and interspersed with 10-12 acoustic numbers, I'd go and see that. Easy production and cheap to take on the road, charge 10 and he could do well. I love these spoke word type gigs, Fish was meant to be doing one in the mid 90's which would have been superb.

I think it gives you a good understanding of the artist and an insight into the record industry etc too.

Cheers

Stuart