aberdeen-music

Feedback Forum?

Frosty Jack

I would like see a forum giving the opportunity to post quick feedback to bands on gigs or recordings. Not whole reviews, just relevant comments. For example I've often seen posts asking "anyone at our gig last night? What did you think?" kind of questions, and thought it would be good to have a forum for this. If someone sees a band and thinks for example, they would be better if the drummer slowed down, or the singer didn't talk so much or whatever it would help everyone get better if they could be told. I'm sure everyone wants to know what people think after they've just played.

I've also seen a few posters putting up links to their own mp3s asking for opinions, especially lately. Again this can only be of benefit.

I kind of hoped this would happen with the 'Musician's Corner' forum, or 'Reviews and Recommendations', but maybe it needs to be separate to be used properly. You could call it 'Fishing For Compliments'...maybe not, but do you see what I mean?

Guest stripey

could be a good idea, if theres enough gigging/recording going on, provide a risk free outlet for people who might not be ready to gig yet but want useful feedback (i.e not from friends or relatives who feel compelled to say its all good), or are making stuff which isnt based on live performance, might encourage people to do more recording and experimenting even...or maybe not...

heres an example of a forum which does this and doesnt degenerate into a slagging match or "fishing for compliments"

http://www.dogsonacid.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=8

Yip, that's exactly what I was thinking about. I reckon it would work, and would definitely help a lot of people. Many times I've seen a local band or heard a demo and thought just one little thing when pointed out would make them so much better. A more beneficial use of bandwidth than "I just ate my tea - No way!" or "Having flu sucks" etc. anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

Ideally, like you say, the Reviews & Recommendations forum would cover this aspect of things. However, it hasn't really worked out like that.

Lots of new forums are getting added/changed at the moment and so I'll see if I can address this suggestion as well as it is a good point you make.

Maybe you could just rename the reviews and recommendations forum, just now it just seems to be people saying 'check this band out', when they can do stuff like that in their profile.

Its one of the least used forums and i think that re-naming it to 'feedback' or something would be better..... it would also save people posting threads about gig's on the wasteland :up:

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by soundian:

I like the idea but how would you stop it degenerating into slagging matches and unjustified mutual backslapping.

As long as it was well moderated I don't think it would be a problem. I've seen it work on other forums (fora?) so I choose to give our people the benefit of the doubt. There's not too many arseholes here really, and I think the benefits would easily outweigh the hassles. Maybe if people know to expect a bit of criticism in the designated area, it would result in less niggling in the Wasteland, as it would be more based on band members communicating, rather than band supporters winding each other up. The sense of a common benefit could just come into play? Worth a try at the very least, I say.

Originally posted by Frosty Jack:

As long as it was well moderated I don't think it would be a problem. I've seen it work on other forums (fora?) so I choose to give our people the benefit of the doubt. There's not too many arseholes here really, and I think the benefits would easily outweigh the hassles. Maybe if people know to expect a bit of criticism in the designated area, it would result in less niggling in the Wasteland, as it would be more based on band members communicating, rather than band supporters winding each other up. The sense of a common benefit could just come into play? Worth a try at the very least, I say.

It's the amount of moderation I'm having a problem with. Where would the line be drawn?

I've been thinking about this a bit though, why don't we meet up and bounce ideas around?

Originally posted by Frosty Jack:

Whoops. It appears I have just stood you up. Sorry. I'll swing in past as soon as I can.:cheers:

Figured you would. Man of your age, two nights in a row. Never gonna happen.

I think this idea needs a lot of thought to get it right though. Maybe Neil might be up for a chat about it as well.

Originally posted by soundian:

Figured you would. Man of your age, two nights in a row. Never gonna happen.

I think this idea needs a lot of thought to get it right though. Maybe Neil might be up for a chat about it as well.

How dare you. I was out two nights last week, Toxik Ephex, then Real Shocks. Must have been 'Toxik Shock Syndrome'...4/10

I'll have you know I canzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....:sleeping: