aberdeen-music

VST advice/recommendations

meiklejohn

First off I apologise if this has already been covered...

I'm 100% new to PC recording, been 8 tracking it since I was about 14.

I'm looking into all this VST stuff and its a bit overwhelming! There's so much information out there but none if it is really giving me the answers I'm looking for.

I'm using reaper with a tascam us-144mkii (incase that matters)

That leads me to my first question, are all VST's compatable with all software?

I've seen things like amplitube? Ezdrum? Would they be compatable?

I'm looking for recommendations for the best free VSTs kicking about? Or are all the free ones crap?

I see you get stomp box VSTs as well? Are they any good?

The biggest question is... Where do I find VST's?

Any help would be good guys.

Thanks,

Scotty

Guest Tam o' Shantie

That leads me to my first question, are all VST's compatable with all software?

I've seen things like amplitube? Ezdrum? Would they be compatable?

I'm looking for recommendations for the best free VSTs kicking about? Or are all the free ones crap?

I see you get stomp box VSTs as well? Are they any good?

The biggest question is... Where do I find VST's?

1. Compatability is really a question of 32bit or 64bit plugins, and your operating system. You said you were using Windows and Reaper, so you will need to use Windows VSTs or Windows/Mac compatable ones. This will be clearly stated on the download page of any VST. If you are running the 64-bit version you will struggle to find 32-bit VSTs which are compatable and vice versa. Again, each version will be clearly mentioned at the point at which you come to download the plugin.

2. Regardless of the name/function if it is a VST it will be compatable as long as the above guidelines are followed.

3. Plenty of decent free VSTs but you need to be a bit more specific with your requirements. Most of the ones I'm into are Synthesisers which may not be your cup of tea.

4. Stomp box VSTs...no idea. Surely this is conceptually an oxymoron, or are you talking about ones which look like effects pedals on the screen? A little tip - a lot of decent VSTs look plain/shitty but the sound is more important!

5. Google for starters, and forum searching. Ableton's forums are pretty good in my experience, but I bet the same applies for Reaper's ones.

I'm a total novice, but do have an interest in DAW's, but have not really put enough time into the pursuit of late. I'm new to actual recording of instruments as I've only recently started to pick up a bass and guitar again, but have messed around using vst and vsti's with FL studio on and off.

Here are a couple of well known blogs for free software, which quite often can be very good as there are many enthusiasts designing software they like to see used and developers trialing software. Recording software seems to be often tied in with hardware manufacture which will then probably incur the cold exchange of currency unfortunately.

Interesting few articles on Lifehacker some weeks ago, have not read it all yet, just book marked it and have not got back to it, but probably will now as I'm reminded, and Musicradars run down of free vst's from a while ago.

Don't know if any of it's any help to what you are working on, but might be something usefull if not now, then maybe at some other time.

:)

http://lifehacker.com/the-basics-of-music-production-lesson-1-set-up-your-h-499088482
http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/the-27-best-free-vst-plug-ins-in-the-world-today-277953/28

http://www.vstplanet.com/index.htm

http://plugins.gersic.com/