aberdeen-music

Broken acoustic

The Milner

I decided to change the strings on my old acoustic for the first time in about 5 years today, but when i took the strings off several other bits fell off at the same time, the little white bit at the top of the neck that holds the strings fell off, and there was another little white bit down beside where the strings go in that fell off, now obviously its not working, can this be easily fixed? The guitar cost me like £20 but its my only working guitar so id like to fix it. Would R&B fix something like this cheaply? Would there be any danger to the guitar if i just bought some super glue and stuck them back where they were before?

As long as you put the nut ("the little white bit at the top of the neck that holds the strings fell off") and bridge piece (" little white bit down beside where the strings go in that fell off") back the correct way then it will pose no problem to restring as normal. If either of the pieces are actually broken then you'll have to purchase new ones. The nut can be a pain as it will need filed accordingly to allow for correct string height.

The nut should be re-glued but the bridge piece just slots in.

If you are struggling, PM me and I can advise further. Otherwise R&B will sort it no bother. Very easy fix though, especially if the bits are intact :up:

• Upvote 1

Good man cheers very much! Excuse the complete guitar n00b when it comes to naming the bits!!

I think ill take it down to R&B, im a bit unsure about having the nut in the right place, also it seems that the new strings i bought, dont fit into the nut, im guessing i bought a thicker guage than the guitar came with, i assume thats easily sanded down yeah?

Haha no worries. I n00bed slightly by saying 'bridge piece', the correct term is 'bridge saddle'. All good though :D

As for the work, a needle file to open up the nut slots if required is easy to do, yet a neccesity if you are indeed going for a bigger gauge. Otherwise the strings won't seat properly at the nut and may cause cracking to the edge (usually find it to be the low E string at the outside edge) of the nut, causing a replacement to be required.

Most guitars come with either 11-52 or 12-53/54 out of the factory. If you have bought 13-56, then best to open up the slots that little bit. :)

If you pop down to R&B though, they'll keep you right. :up:

• Upvote 1