aberdeen-music

Rock 'n' Roll (Is Killing My Life)

Palace of Swords

This thread is incomplete, without reference to Chuck Berry. Through all my changing tastes in music, 'Johnny B Goode' remains the most influential song i ever heard. It inspired me to play guitar and to buy a 335-alike.

I play it in the pub, on the last sunday of every month. Sometimes- as a complete contrast- I also play 'Bye Bye Johnny'................:)

And dont we know it dude. Keep it up because you never play it the same way twice. Andy

• Upvote 1

I went out to the Smiddy at Daviot this afternoon and Flaneur and his friends were there.

It was a friendly place and sometimetimes there were three guitarists and sometimes four. There were also a variety of people on drums and some of the pub patrons joined in on vocals too. It was a fun event.

Quite a variety of music was played during the three hours I was there including good versions of Charlie Rich's "Who Will The Next Fool Be", Chuck Berry's "You Never Can Tell, Jimmy Reed's "Baby, What You Want Me To Do", Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison Blues, and a truly outstanding, powerful version of "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On.

A great rockin' way to spend a Sunday afternoon. The group deserve to be playing to bigger audiences. Thanks for inviting me out there.

Thank you for the kind review Graham. It was good to have you there. I have now posted the dates for this month. And the accordion player is coming on the 25th. Andy

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I Put A Spell On You - Screamin' Jay

This is a documentary about my late friend Screamin' Jay Hawkins. It starts with Jay getting out of the coffin and he talks about his long career and it documents his last tour with many other clips from earlier times.

I made the explosive fuse-boxes you see in the video.

• 2 weeks later...

It was 40 years ago today that the Farr Brothers, who had previously promoted the Isle of Wight show with Jimi Hendrix, organised this Rock'N'Roll show at Wembley Stadium.

This video runs for 1hour 25 minutes and includes Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley Jerry, Little Richard and Bill Haley as well as the late Screamin' Lord Sutch. There are also some truly awful other acts but you can slide forward past them to the good bits.

It is hard to believe it was exactly 40 years ago - seems like yesterday to me.