aberdeen-music

how does one...

M.A.R.T

Originally posted by M.A.R.T

mic up an amp?

whats the best way to do so....and what sort of sound should we be looking for?

Well first give Mike and Amp a little time to get to know each other, some alcohol helps to get them relaxed, nice mood music does no harm either, then some gentle petting gets them in the mood, finally, lots of lubricant and gently does it...

and thats how you get Mike up Amp....

the sounds you can expect are "dont come near me with that" or "oh that hurts" and finally "yes yes yes woohoo!!!"

mic up an amp?

whats the best way to do so....and what sort of sound should we be looking for?

How poncy do you wanna get.

1) Basic standby. SM 57 in front of speaker, nearer the edge for more treble. Nearer middle etc. They have to be close cos their dynamic and have a bass proximity effect. Using condensers, especially large diaphragm ones, will generally give better results and can be positioned further away.

2) Use more than one amp/speaker and mic up all of them. Mix as required.

3) Use ambient mics some distance away and mix in with 1) or 2)

The sound you're looking for will be what comes out of the amp initially, then you can fuck with it.

If it doesn't sound good out of the amp, don't bother putting a mic near it.

Shit in, shit out.

Re: Re: how does one...

Originally posted by GraemeC

Well first give Mike and Amp a little time to get to know each other, some alcohol helps to get them relaxed, nice mood music does no harm either, then some gentle petting gets them in the mood, finally, lots of lubricant and gently does it...

and thats how you get Mike up Amp....

the sounds you can expect are "dont come near me with that" or "oh that hurts" and finally "yes yes yes woohoo!!!"

Well, that was a glimpse into 'the mind of Graeme' that I could have done without...

thanks ian! :up:

Oh...!

I thought you were takin the piss.

Lots of other crazy ways to get an interesting sound like exposing the speaker and getting the mike as close to the cone as poss without touching it, or sticking a mike in the back of a speaker cab, or put the cab in the bog and hang a mike from the light fitting...great reverb.