aberdeen-music

Music College

fatboy

I have applied for music college and have and interview/audition on Friday.

Just wondering if anyone how is in music college has been can tell me what like this interview is.

It said I have to be prepared to play two contrasting pieces on my first instrument.

Should I take my guitar with me, also what would be good to play.

I don't want to go there and play some fast metal thinking I'm the boy.

I've been practising this

so I need a contrasting style now :S

When I interview/auditioned for it, I played two 'not-hugely-different' drum pieces in that they were both Rock tunes, but it didnt seem to matter. Don't get too bogged down on them being polar opposite, they just want enough evidence that you're capable of playing more than one piece. (It avoids getting people who practise and practise and practise one song)

I'd say take your own guitar. Whatever can help you feel more comfortable. I dont get YouTube at work, but if it's an In Flames medley, I'd say go for some folk, or even a pop tune? Something that shows a basic grasp of knowing chords/licks without being too OTT. Hope this helps.

I applied for a course in Rock Music Performance or something similar at Perth College when I was about 16. I learned "The Righteous And The Wicked" by Red Hot Chili Peppers note for note and played it at my audition, absolutely fucking nailed it as well, unfortunately the guy realised that I had been turning the pages at the wrong time and was blatantly playing it from memory and not reading the music (I can't read music very well and it's a pre-requisite of the course). So he took my book away, gave me another piece of music and told me to play it. Of course I choked and that was the end of that. Epic blag fail.

I applied for a course in Rock Music Performance or something similar at Perth College when I was about 16. I learned "The Righteous And The Wicked" by Red Hot Chili Peppers note for note and played it at my audition, absolutely fucking nailed it as well, unfortunately the guy realised that I had been turning the pages at the wrong time and was blatantly playing it from memory and not reading the music (I can't read music very well and it's a pre-requisite of the course). So he took my book away, gave me another piece of music and told me to play it. Of course I choked and that was the end of that. Epic blag fail.

Had this exact thing happen (minus guitar, and Red Hot Chili Peppers, and being 16) when I applied to The Lemon Tree Jazz Orchestra.

"You played that pretty well. Can you sight read?"

"Yeah, I mean I'm not amazing, but I can do it"

*handed piece of music* "play this for me?"

"Er..."

the in flames tune is a finger picky acoustic piece, I can't read music at all, but that is the reason for joining the course

I like to play to backing tracks as some music tends dip in places if you are just playing the guitar lines.

any suggestions

I can play a number of pieces from memory as like anyone else.

an original composition? can't go wrong

ideas for songs to prepare?