aberdeen-music

Gray Pledges Cash For Mining Areas

Its hardly comparable to compare foxhunting to the mining industry, according to the countryside alliance:

Total hunt income is 14.9million per annum. This derives 57% from member and subscriber

charges, 30% from hunt fund raising and 13% from other sources.

(taken from Fox Hunting - (supportfoxhunting.co.uk))

There are 748 joint or single hunt Masters (average 2.7 per hunt). They have 510 full time

hunt employees (average 2.6 per hunt) and 325 part time employees (average 1.7 per hunt).

Total employees plus 'professional' masters amount to about 950. So that's under 1000 people employed in foxhunting in the UK, and you think that's comparable to the fact here used to be 1 million people employed in mining, and even in the early 80's there was 200,000 - that's 200x more

I actually agree that this seems opportunistic politics, but your comparison to fox hunting seemed to me to be the kind of totally wrong comparison.

It's a cynical, retrograde move.

I agree with you there.

It strikes me that 30 years on the 'regeneration' has either worked or it hasn't (and if not why not?) but you can't still be claiming special circumstances because three decades ago they closed a hole in the ground near where you live.

the paucity of decent politicians taking part in Holyrood affairs only convinces me further that devolution was a massive, hugely expensive mistake.

To be fair the paucity is largely on the Labour benches who have become the most entrenched, uninspiring and dogmatic party in Scotland. As for the Devolution settlement, it might not be perfect but I'd rather have it than be without it. Holyrood has provided a much-needed buffer between us and Westminster policy.