aberdeen-music

New Aberdeen band - Crooked Little Vein

Pilot Error

He guys, were a new Aberdeen based band who have finally completed our line up and are looking to start playing out in the early new year. Weve played a couple of shows, but not done any live stuff for a while because weve been looking for a new guitarist/backing vocalist whos now on board so were ready to go.

We recorded some tunes at Elba Studios is Glasgow, and wed really appreciate some feedback, opinions, thoughts etc on them.

Crooked Little Vein on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Cheers all..

Crooked Little Vein

A couple of times I thought I heard mistakes in the bass track, but maybe that was your choice of arrangement for Stand Alone. Definitely a fluffed note at the start of the 2nd verse in Shimmer (if you care). The tuning also sounds a bit iffy.

I think Stand Alone is a little bit of a ponderous track to have as an opener, it's quite long, it slows down in the middle and doesn't have a big hook. Shimmer has a melody line that just doesn't appeal to my ears - the title line is weak - it feels like filler. So after the first two tracks I wasn't feeling too inspired. The third track, Descent, is a far better offering and the best song you've recorded. It's melodic without being too predictable and that's not easily accomplished. The lead in to the chorus is excellent. I really like it. Chemical Scars rounds off the recording with a fairly standard but enjoyable punk song.

After listening to the last two tracks I went back and listened to Stand Alone and Shimmer again and having enjoyed the others I was feeling a bit more positive about those. I think you should re-order the songs in your playlist.

Also, I don't know if you always sound that comfortable when swearing in your songs... I'd think carefully about that for future reference.

Hey Robert, cheers for taking the time to listen and comment.

I agree about tracklisting, to be honest I don't know why they came up that order on Myspace, the order on the CD is actually Descent, Chem Scars, Shimmer then Stand Alone.

Guitars in Shimmer are kind of meant to be a little bit off, thought it fit in with the song. Lot of delay, chorus and trem on the clean sounds to make it sound......well.....shimmery! We might have known about the fluffed note in the 2nd verse as well.... ;)

Just getting out new guy up to speed with the songs then it's onto the stage again..!

Like I say though, we really appreciate the feedback.

As suggested, I listened to the track in the right order and I quite like this. I do, however, however agree with Robert's thoughts on the swearing - it sounds a little unnatural and forced, however it doesn't affect the enjoyment of listening. Nice catchy guitar hooks and a lovely vocal line in Descent.

Is this out on CD/download, or just recorded as a demo?

Cheers mate, appreciate the feedback.

The language seems to be something that a few people have commented on, so obviously will take into account going forwards. The lyrics were actually not meant to be lyrics initially, more of a poem type thing that seemed to fit the music but seems to have backfired a wee bit!

The tracks were recorded as a way of getting gis and getting our name out, but they actually turned out a lot better quality recordings than we'd hoped so we do have CDs and the like that we sell at shows for petrol/beer money etc. If you like, I can either email you the mp3s or stick you a CD in the post.

Rob