aberdeen-music

dark,acid psych folk, into any?

Hey folks,

Just wondered if anyone here liked any wierd folky type music, ie modern stuff like, espers, cyann and ben, devandra banhart, six organs of admittance...etc,

or older stuff from the 60s 70s, like roy harper, the incredible string band, linda perhacs, tim buckley, erica pomerance, comus.....

If not, and its all heavier, punkier, stuff(which i adore too---see my profile) then you can take this oppurtunity to laugh or insult me creatively,

cheers,

Aaaah yer rubbiss! [As they say... ;) ]

I'll be out tomorrow night and hopefully Jan as well. I notice that I listen to most if not all of your 'listening to' lad but more than likely 'cause of your influence. Take it easy man and more peeps should listen TO THE DARK SIDE! :)

Hmmmmmm.......I'm hoping this isn't some "sting" to make a mockery of ME, as I love most of the names you list, especially the Espers and Roy Harper! You probably already know and love Greg Weeks (of the Espers), Fursaxa (friend of the Espers) and Black Forest/Black Sea (who played Drakes recently).

In a similar vein, you'll definitely like In Gowan Ring, Stone Breath, Tower Recordings, Pothole Skinny and the PG Six. Many of these contributed to an excellent US Incredible String Band tribute called (I think) "Winged they were".

It looks from your list as if you're already familiar with Irene Trudel's show on WFMU. If not you can listen to her archives......she plays exactly the kind of music you mention. I first heard Linda Perhacs on her show a couple of years ago. She also broadcast a fantastic Espers session not that long ago, and had a session from Vetiver (who have Devendra Banhart and Hope Sandoval on their album) just last week.

ok, thanks heaps for yer reply, and of course this ain't a wind up, but if you'v'e been stung by cretins in the past i understand. Beatiful, beautiful music, i know fursaxa, apparently, salamander are good too(not heard), i like in gowan ring (weathered steps...) , plus, jack rose's solo albums (he was in pelt) are amazin', the best acoustic guitar playin i've heard since davey graham or ben. Chara lambides are a bit further out, (well maybe a lot...)But they're "water" disc and "joy shapes are certainly touching the same areas. Also thuja, for more instrumental stuff, dead raven choir (their quiter moments) for a little disturbed fare, spires that in the sunset rise, and one of my all-time faves, set fire to flames-telegraphs in negative/ mouths trapped in static, which aint strictly folk, but retains the druggy, spaced out and warm, though intense and very disturbing at points(in pre-light isolate -my fave for that reason) but intense with beauty too,

Stay in touch folks,

ah yes, joshua's "gold cosmos" album is very good too.

Jack Rose I've got the last 2 vinyl albums by (and one Pelt CD). The Interesting Music folks have got Charlie Parr coming soon! I've got a pile of Charalambides stuff (plus Scorces and Christina Carter solo). I had the pleasure of seing Caralambides live a year and a half ago, plus Six Organs of Admittance. I'm also in touch with Glen Donaldson of Thuja. Have you heard his Blithe Sons disc?

Jesse Poe of Tanakh is (hopefully) coming to Aberdeen soon to record with the ex-Delicate AWOL folks, and will be getting in touch with me......you could meet up with us if it actually happens.

I'll happily copy some of this if you haven't got it.

Have you heard any Cul De Sac recordings.......it's pretty cool, too. They recorded with John Fahey, and toured with Damo Suzuki?

hmmmm. i'd certainly be up for helping out with any folk/psych happenings anyone can sort out, i think the general problem is that most people don't bother to investigate that particular style of music, or believe it to be unhip. I think more people would get into it if someone WERE able to sort out some sort of event, THE RETURN OF THE ACID FOLK BEATNIKS!

oh, and if anyones interested, every friday on bbc 2 at 12:35am a programme called "bbc four on bbc 2:originals " is on, last night it was about martin carthy, norma waterson, and eliza carthy discussing the landmark folk record "bright phoebus" by lal and mike waterson. The week before it was john martyn, and the week before that it was richard thompson. So perhaps the incredible string band, bert jansch/john renbourn/pentangle, mellow candle, mr fox, or many others will get a look in......

"So strange is man" and "Fine horseman" by Lal Waterson are 2 of my all-time favourite songs (and I sometimes do a naff version of "Stumbling on" live). I've seen Martin Carthy live more times than any other artist (more than ten, easily), and he's never had a poor night, despite being ill on at least one occasion.

I missed it last week, but Eliza Carthy is presenting a series on Radio 2 on Wednesdays called "Anglicana" about the British Folk scene over the last 40 years.

WFMU is based in the New York area, but you can hear lots of past prog.s on Irene Trudel's homepage........some great sessions over the years! The Espers one is amazing, and I particularly enjoyed a PG Six one. If you haven't got broadband I've recorded a few of them (mostly in mono, though), and can do you copies.

I usually just google it, but it's at..... www.wfmu.org/~irene/

The "Interesting Music" guys often have folkish acts, some of which fall within the boundaries of folk/psych. In early September they've got Charlie Parr, followed the night after by Schwervon (anti-folk).

If you haven't come across them,then these magazines cover a lot of music of a folk/psych nature..........

Ptolemaic Terrascope

Dream Magazine

both have free CDs with lots of great music. The last Dream one had Fursaxa, Pothole Skinny, Cul De Sac, Cereberus Shoal etc etc (and a Kitchen Cynics song!)

Perfectly possible. I've certainly played the 13th FE before now. I'd love to do a folk/psychedelia night somewhere. Not many Aberdeen venues are in the market for that sort of thing' date=' though.[/quote']

If you'll refer yourself to the Moorings forum you'll see that I also enjoy playing the 13th Floor Elevators! It's fun aside! :)