aberdeen-music

Vesuvian

Guest Gladstone

Guest Gladstone

Aye, seriously, can we leave the violin argument to a different thread?

I don't care about Vesuvian an awful lot, but just thought it was a good gig for an Aberdeen band to get. As much as they lack respect on this site, they seem to be going about things the correct way - DIY tours, getting signed to an indie label from Manchester, playing more gigs around the country etc etc.

It's the sort of thing the "cool" bands in Aberdeen get praise lavished on them for. But since they're a "generic lad rock" band, they're automatically shunned.

Guest Gladstone
I think they're shunned more because they're shit. ;)

Are they actually shit though?

Fair enough if you don't like lad rock/indie or whatever you want to call it, it's going to be difficult to appreciate if they're any good at what they do.

I can't stand most kinds of metal music, but I can appreciate that a band like My Mind's Weapon have done really well, and must be quite good at what they do. But, I really have no idea if they're any good or not, because I'm really not into that kind of music.

I haven't properly listened to Vesuvian, so I honestly don't know. I've heard a rough demo of a tune called Devil In Love which wasn't awful. It wasn't marvellous either, but it was demo. Sounded to have potential as an upbeat rock tune.

(I do also know that not many people on here are going to back me up...)

Guest Gladstone
I've actually never heard them. But they definitely are shit.

Ha. I think that's probably true of a lot of the haters on this site (and not necessarily just for Vesuvian).

I'm not saying you did this (I think you're just having a bit of witty banter), but I think a lot of people are guilty of jumping on band wagons on this site. Someone who seems to be a cool guy to agree with says Vesuvian are shit, and completely arrogant wankers, and then a few others just jump on and start saying the same thing and said band gets a reputation for being shit.

Viola.

(8 char)

Oh FFS, a big Violin?? ;) In that case it re-inforces my original point about violins then.

Back to the original debate - I don't have much time for post-rock (85% of the stuff I've heard is gash) and zero time for twee/fey stuff. I find that people who attempt to define their music as experimental rarely deserve the epithet - it might sound experimental to them but sure as shit doesn't to me.

People often scoff at Lad/Dad/Indie Rock as entirely derivative and traditional without realising that their own musical efforts/listening habits aren't that much more original. So, often many of its critics are in no better a position to be able to criticise. There again, as the old saying goes, everyone's a critic.

Lad/Dad/Indie Rock does have poor cred points with many, but its really inter-genre sniffiness that drives it and I'll defend to the end a person's right to enjoy it. Most of the stuff I listen to is generally labelled either Shoegaze or Prog so I can appreciate the marginalisation. I haven't listened to Oasis for years (i like some songs but never really loved them like a lot of people do), and what Weller I do listen to is limited to the albums that got panned by the critics (Heavy Soul, Heliocentric)!

As for Vesuvian themselves, I don't know them so can't comment on their personal qualities or lack thereof. I think if they were to shorten their songs by a few minutes at the end, it would improve them no end. I would still choose them over a lot of guitar music doing the rounds for the simple reason that some of what they do does the right things for my ears.

Ha. I think that's probably true of a lot of the haters on this site (and not necessarily just for Vesuvian).

I'm not saying you did this (I think you're just having a bit of witty banter), but I think a lot of people are guilty of jumping on band wagons on this site. Someone who seems to be a cool guy to agree with says Vesuvian are shit, and completely arrogant wankers, and then a few others just jump on and start saying the same thing and said band gets a reputation for being shit.

Correct...Dave should sign me up now!

:up: