aberdeen-music

Sir Bobby Robson dies

geo1903

Already said it in the other thread, but he was a true gent and easily my favourite sporting personality of all-time. As a Newcastle United fan he gave me many great moments including finishing 4th, 3rd and 5th in the Premiership consecutively and Champion's League football. He took a distinctively average squad featuring the likes of Titus Bramble, Andy O'Brien and Aaron Hughes to fantastic heights that I don't believe I will ever experience again as a football fan. He brought a bit of pride and respect back to Tyneside, and we're still feeling the after-effects of his sacking now.

RIP Bobby, you'll be missed.

It's easy to say in the age of celebrity, and feeling as if you're close to famous people, but I'm absolutely devestated.

As a young football fan, even from his post-match interviews, he taught me everything about how to be a good sportsman, and how to handle losing. He was a true gentleman and an example of humility in an age of stupid haircuts, even more stupid wages and talk of 'modern slavery' at 80,000+ a week. My Dad was lucky enough to meet him, and he said he was one of the most thoroughly respectful people he'd ever encountered, and I'm lucky enough to have a message and autograph from the man.

The Channel 4 news coverage of his death almost had me in tears - and the fact that he still has this impact of Scottish football fans and football fans in general, despite being the England manager (if you're into petty grudges) is testament to him.

Accuse me of exaggerating or whatever, but football's going to miss him dearly.