VIKING MOSES + GOLDEN GHOST + DEBUTANT

Tuesday 16th June

The Tunnels, Carnegies Brae, Aberdeen, AB10 1BF. Phone (01224) 211121

Doors 8pm

Entry 6

http://www.myspace.com/interestingmusic

http://www.thetunnels.co.uk

181_viking_moses_poster.jpg

VIKING MOSES - was initiated by Southern Missourian Brendon Massei in 2003. The band has a dynamic, rotating cast of both established and obscure musicians worldwide, and is currently based between Scotland (UK) and Northern Appalachia (USA).

More straight forward rock/soul than weird/folk as most of their contemporaries seem to be marketed, Viking Moses recordings are very accessible in convention, though live shows normally tend to have an unconventional approach, being hosted in unorthodox venues, often having assembled bands night-of, using members of support bands or strangers in the audience. Both aspects are delivered with utmost soul, passion, and humility, and always offer fans and strangers an experience which is unique and often contrary to expectation.

Viking Moses has been finding very fair attention since 2004, thanks to Devendra Banhart's "Golden Apples..." compilation and good words, followed by a signing by Alan McGee (Creation Records founder, and manager of Oasis, Jesus & Mary Chain, Primal Scream, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Libertines, etc.) which has found Viking Moses high acclaim in UK and Europe, and kept them heavily active in that part of the world these past few years.

http://www.myspace.com/vikingmoses

GOLDEN GHOST - is a band fronted by Laura Goetz from the village of Endicott in Upstate New York.

Goetz' music is addictive, yet surprisingly not your typical "pop" songs. More similar to classical music in structure, she fuses various catchy melodies which reoccur at times from song to song, delivered primarily with dynamic and technical electric guitar. Lyrically, she uses themes from extremely brief life encounters, (such as a Scottish man who paints moonscapes, or an institutionalized Missouri woman who had been discovered swallowing hundreds of small metal objects, and even a story told from the perspective of 70's telvision's French Chef host Julia Child!) and produces extensive monologues told from the perspective of her subjects, an exquisite display of imagination, compassion and poetry.

http://www.myspace.com/heygoldenghost

DEBUTANT - A combination of simple, dreamy songs augmented by a build-up of shimmering atmospheres. Think textured one-man dream-pop. Or something like that.

"Debutant's music ignores genres altogether, sounding something like what would happen if Mark Kozelek and Kevin Shields had an afternoon, a spare room and a multitude of ideas. Definitely worth checking out live" - isthismusic?

"Debutants blend of post-rock ambience with breathless lyrics was beautiful. Solitude called into mind Ulrich Schnauss and Brian Eno, flowing like little rivulets of darkness." - Narc Magazine

http://www.myspace.com/musicbydebutant

This one took a while to get moderator approved, so was kind of missed on the front page.

So have a little bump.

Phil has kindly agreed to do one more Debutant gig in Aberdeen prior to a short break.

Looking forward to it, and the welcome return of Viking Moses - one of the most amazing live artists I've ever seen.

VM was great the time I put him on (was touring with Jana Hunter). He disappeared off before his set, only to return wearing what can only be described as a loin cloth. Two older guys in the venue walked out in bemusement halfway through the first song.

Nice bloke too.

Would come up for this but I'm pretty sure I'm on nights.

Guest idol_wild

I have read ridiculously good reports about Viking Moses, so I'm well up for this one. I've been a regular listener of Golden Ghost on myspace over the past few months. I had no idea she was Brendan's girlfriend. So bonus on getting to see her too!

As for Debutant, he may play a new song. :up:

I have read ridiculously good reports about Viking Moses, so I'm well up for this one. I've been a regular listener of Golden Ghost on myspace over the past few months. I had no idea she was Brendan's girlfriend. So bonus on getting to see her too!

As for Debutant, he may play a new song. :up:

What's the new song called?

Guest idol_wild
What's the new song called?

I don't have a title for it yet actually. It has lyrics 'n shit.

I have also devised a live arrangement for Definition, which I have never played live before because the arrangement was hard to replicate in a live situation. But I have a more delicate/finger picky arrangement with some lovely interlocking loops for the ending. Well, lovely to my ears. "I had my fun, and that's all that matters." :up:

I don't have a title for it yet actually. It has lyrics 'n shit.

I have also devised a live arrangement for Definition, which I have never played live before because the arrangement was hard to replicate in a live situation. But I have a more delicate/finger picky arrangement with some lovely interlocking loops for the ending. Well, lovely to my ears. "I had my fun, and that's all that matters." :up:

:up:

looking forward to it - as always...

I'm going to get to this as I've never managed to catch Phil live yet and if this is the last gig up here I guess it's my last chance. Also Viking Moses sound interesting. And I haven't been to an IMP gig in a while. I can also slag Phil off over the lengths he will go to to try and distance himself from Portlethen.