aberdeen-music

Jon Allen and The Law @ The Lemon Tree

On the day of the gig Moshulu decided to stick on a guestlist because the ticket sales were so low. We got about 50 folk through the door just on that day alone. If tickets had been 5/6 we would probably have sold about 40 extra tickets at that price. But, as was said at the time, the price was set by Barfly head office and not Moshulu, who would have priced it more sensibly.

One of the shittest things I've ever heard of. If I'd paid 15 in advance and then found out folk were getting in for free because of low sales, I wouldn't be back at the venue.

Unless they gave me a full refund, like.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
One of the shittest things I've ever heard of. If I'd paid 15 in advance and then found out folk were getting in for free because of low sales, I wouldn't be back at the venue.

Unless they gave me a full refund, like.

Yeah, I guess that is quite shit - obviously not my call though. It was just an extension of the band's guestlist though I suppose :popcorn:

The sooner the Dundee scene dies the better so bands like The View, The Law and Sergeant can all bugger off!

Supporting your mates band (The Law supporting The View) doesn't mean you can command fees of 100 plus.

I was quoted 700 for Flood Of Red by one of their band members. Maybe Calum can confirm how much they cost him?

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
The sooner the Dundee scene dies the better so bands like The View, The Law and Sergeant can all bugger off!

Supporting your mates band (The Law supporting The View) doesn't mean you can command fees of 100 plus.

I was quoted 700 for Flood Of Red by one of their band members. Maybe Calum can confirm how much they cost him?

I'm not going to state how much the band cost me on a public forum. That's between promoters and agents/managers as far as I'm concerned.

But, the fact the Law have toured the UK more than once, supporting the View (regardless of whether it's their mates' band or not), does actually mean that folk are more willing to pay money for them. There are bands out there who far less people will have heard of than The Law who will command 100 fees.

I have no idea how much Flood are however based on every gig I have put on I wouldnt be paying more than 100 guarantee anyway and maybe a door split of they were lucky.

Agents very easily scam money out of people and I guess thats up to each promoter. Eg agents normally just ask for an offer - if said promoter goes in with stupidly high offer, mr agent isnt going to go "no why normally they are only xxx"

Anyway not really the point. Of all the bands Ive booked some of which have cost 1-2k or even 3k in one case, my tickets have never been over 10 for any show.

Would generally go 5 for new bands, first album sort of things , 7 or 8 for established bands eg Dykeenies, My Vitriol, Spinto Band etc and the only time Ive done a 10 was Art Brut because I was made to by their agency.

I dont want to see The Lemon Tree fail either but you wonder if they didnt have 3 people greeting you at the door (1 in the ticket box office,2 opening the door) and say 5 or 6 bar staff on then they wouldnt have to charge as much. Ive only been there 3 times since it reopened but it has beem like that on all those occassions. No need for more than say 2 bar staff and 1 box office person.

I dont want to see The Lemon Tree fail either but you wonder if they didnt have 3 people greeting you at the door (1 in the ticket box office,2 opening the door) and say 5 or 6 bar staff on then they wouldnt have to charge as much. Ive only been there 3 times since it reopened but it has beem like that on all those occassions. No need for more than say 2 bar staff and 1 box office person.

THIS! Totally agre

I remember seeing The Law in 2007 at the Isle Of Skye festival. They were fucking terrible.

Best thing about their set was them telling the police in the tent to fuck off and some local Rangers fans trying to get on stage as they misheard the singer saying "Ooooo aah, up The Law" for "Ooooo aah, up the Ra".

This was great. Really enjoyed Jon Allen and support as well.

As a side note, is there no one in the Lemon Tree during the day or something? Phoned the box office all through the afternoon trying to get an idea of stage times. We were coming through from Peterhead on a relatively tight timescale and it would have been handy to know.

All the same, really good show. Nice atmosphere, what with the seating and the candles. A little unusual, in a good way.