aberdeen-music

rock and roll

Guest Stripey

Mouse' date=' bend over whilst I spank your ass. :bat:

Minimalist crap! :swearing:

Drum & Bass/Jungle unimaginative, :swearing:

Progressive Rock, guitars/keys... wot no violin, flute sax etc? :swearing:

Grrrrrrrrr!!![/quote']

Still don't agree with the first two :p Your right with the third, see stripey they use more than just guitars & keyboards ;)

Guest Stripey

I respect the point that a lot of electronic music does require a lot of hard programming' date=' but to the people it's the music that matters. I'd love a synth just to make all these weird noises, but people don't really want to hear just plain sound effects all the time. They need to be incorporated with other instruments & played in different styles. Minimilist crap like drums n' bass is plain boring & has no imagination. Though I'm not disagreeing like I said earlier that a lot of rock music today is just tripe.[/quote']

I doubt you have heard much drumnbass. It certainly isn't minimalist. Infact, DNB shares a lot with metal. Listen to this track for example, I am quite sure you will enjoy it: http://totally.kicks-ass.net/bad_company--bullet_time.mp3

What DNB have you heard, that you have formed the opinion that it is boring minimalism?

If DNB is so good, refreshing and offers a much broader spectrum than good old rock n roll, why is it still so small? Of all the people in my year at school about 80% of people went on to listen to dance and chart music, whilst the rest went on to listen to rock/metal/whatever. I cant remember one person than chose the road of DNB.

You also moan about people churning out normal/generic tunes.whereas in your song bullet time, youve clearly sampled a few bits for the intro, thats got to bring up the question of originality, youd probably also class the song as modern and groundbreaking but to me it sounds like every song from the wipeout game series (fast, repetitive, and long)

See the irony? youre so stuck into DNB that you would claim (with probably little knowledge) that rock based music is all generic and unoriginal, whilst on the other side of the coin, youve got me listening to your music (with little knowledge) and all I can think about is Wipeout..

Guest Sundaram
If DNB is so good' date=' refreshing and offers a much broader spectrum than good old rock n roll, why is it still so small?[/quote']

It isn't all that popular because it isn't all that commercial, tis quite simple!

Your post implies to me that popularity is a sure sign of quality, I'm afraid to say that is just not the case.

Guest Stripey
If DNB is so good' date=' refreshing and offers a much broader spectrum than good old rock n roll, why is it still so small? Of all the people in my year at school about 80% of people went on to listen to dance and chart music, whilst the rest went on to listen to rock/metal/whatever. I cant remember one person than chose the road of DNB.

You also moan about people churning out normal/generic tunes.whereas in your song bullet time, youve clearly sampled a few bits for the intro, thats got to bring up the question of originality, youd probably also class the song as modern and groundbreaking but to me it sounds like every song from the wipeout game series (fast, repetitive, and long)

See the irony? youre so stuck into DNB that you would claim (with probably little knowledge) that rock based music is all generic and unoriginal, whilst on the other side of the coin, youve got me listening to your music (with little knowledge) and all I can think about is Wipeout..[/quote']

I didn't write that bullet time track! I know the bits at the start are from the matrix, but who cares, the tune is really danceable and quite dark.

DNB is HUGE, but you just aren't aware of it because it has always been underground. The reason that 80% of people at your school listened to dance and the rest listened to metal, is because they are ultimately the mainstream things which are visible to kids through the media. DNB is something for the adults.

If you want to see just how big DNB is, go to http://www.breakbeat.co.uk/dnbtv and check out some of the stuff there. In particular, check out the miami WMC 2004 feature and the Pedulum interview.

It isn't all that popular because it isn't all that commercial' date=' tis quite simple!

Your post implies to me that popularity is a sure sign of quality, I'm afraid to say that is just not the case.[/quote']

That was just to show how many people i know are into the elevated ways of DNB, a whole 0 from my year at school. Everyone knows that popularity and quality don't go hand in hand, but it's not to say that there's a definative trend between the two, as there are some popular musicians coming through that have good quality stuff, look at Muse... probably one of the biggest UK rock bands, defined by their own sound, and they are both 'genuine' and 'commercially popular'.

Saying that a group of performers or musicians aren't good quality because they are popular is just about as stupid as saying someone that can't write a DNB song is ignorant to a more broader and elevated musical ecperience.

However; the main point of my post was contained within the latter 2 paragraphs..

Guest Tam o' Shantie

stripey as i have suggested many times before, I challenge you to listen to the locust's recent album 'plague soundscapes' and tell me that rock music is dated trash. i'll send you some tracks over msn messenger if you want.

Guest Sundaram
That was just to show how many people i know are into the elevated ways of DNB' date=' a whole 0 from my year at school. Everyone knows that popularity and quality don't go hand in hand, but it's not to say that there's a definative trend between the two, as there are some popular musicians coming through that have good quality stuff, look at Muse... probably one of the biggest UK rock bands, defined by their own sound, and they are both 'genuine' and 'commercially popular'.

Saying that a group of performers or musicians aren't good quality because they are popular is just about as stupid as saying someone that can't write a DNB song is ignorant to a more broader and elevated musical ecperience.

However; the main point of my post was contained within the latter 2 paragraphs..[/quote']

Ok, I wasn't saying popularity = shit, I mean I like The Beatles...

ach never mind, I just like what I like and it appears it's the same with you! :up:

DNB is HUGE' date=' but you just aren't aware of it because it has always been underground. The reason that 80% of people at your school listened to dance and the rest listened to metal, is because they are ultimately the mainstream things which are visible to kids through the media. DNB is something for the adults.

If you want to see just how big DNB is, go to [url']http://www.breakbeat.co.uk/dnbtv and check out some of the stuff there. In particular, check out the miami WMC 2004 feature and the Pedulum interview.

How open minded can DNB be if you clearly state that it's something for adults.... That's like saying metal's only for middle-aged men, or punk's only for angsty teenagers. I had a squint at the website, and as i stated before, most of the songs i heard on the videos and streaming all sound like they could have been ripped off of the wipeout soundtrack.

The whole, HUGE and underground thing -to me - is an oxymoron, if it was so huge and had so many 'adult' followers how come it is forced to stay underground? Surely it would have been pushed into the mainstream by now if it was as big as you're making it out to be?

Guest Stripey
How open minded can DNB be if you clearly state that it's something for adults.... That's like saying metal's only for middle-aged men' date=' or punk's only for angsty teenagers. I had a squint at the website, and as i stated before, most of the songs i heard on the videos and streaming all sound like they could have been ripped off of the wipeout soundtrack.

The whole, HUGE and underground thing -to me - is an oxymoron, if it was so huge and had so many 'adult' followers how come it is forced to stay underground? Surely it would have been pushed into the mainstream by now if it was as big as you're making it out to be?[/quote']

The reason it stays underground, is because its not about image, people with fashionable hairdos and clothes, merchandising, tv appearances, or record sales and fame. It's music for the people by the people, and the DNB scene doesn't give a shit about the mainstream. It's a whole different world from the cushy MTV culture.

i thought drum'n'bass was going to emerge into the mainstream about 1996/7, when i heard earthling by david bowie, and goldie's face was plastered everywhere, thanks to a well know spat between him and keith flint. there are loads of music genres that are huge and sell a lot of records, but have no tv/radio publicity, house music is an example.

i think the difference is that in aberdeen we don't have any clubs, or we generally don't go to the clubs that play different genres of music. if you like a lot of house music or trance music, you'd probably actually enjoy a saturday night in drum - much as it amuses a lot of people here, i'm sure. i went to a club called fabric in north london a couple of years ago, and apart from almost choking on the entry fee, i couldn't help notice how similar it was to the palace - except it was for house/techno/trance music. it was a lot smarter than the palace, but it was just as dark, lots of smoke (from smoke machines) so that the atmosphere was really kind of strange. though the smoke was probably for the lasers they had swizzelling about from the roof. the bass in that place was incredible. anyway, the place was absolutely packed with around 1000 people, all happily drinking, taking pills and absolutely getting off on the music. i didn't hear one single song i recognised, so either the DJs were doing a lot of improvisation with other peoples tracks, or it was all just music from genres and sub-genres that i'd never even come close to hearing.

but that's london, there's something for everyone in london. the point i was trying to make was against mainstream being the sign of success or originality.

Guest Neubeatz

Well well well,

All I can say is that after playing a certain gig last year at a venue in Belmont street which was free to enter, lasted all day and had no less than 13 different acts I thought had a not bad crowd,

but as I was packing my gear into the car near closing time I had to fight through a queue of punters to get to the car, the queue was for kef, where that guy Lavelle was playing, and stretched from the door right up to the corner of Union street,

I hadnt seen so many punters since rangers played at pittodrie.

I thought to my self this rock gig crap is fucked,

I'll even quote Bowie, "Rock'n'Roll is an old woman with no teeth", mind you, he's dottled now, so he probably forgot that he said that in the seventies.

NME and MTV crap for underagers with disposable pocket money, and lowest common denominator mentality, who think they are being rebellious by watching Jack(off)ass,

and saying that R'n'B is gay for schoolgirls.

Why are fucking sixteen year old kids wanting to play "20th century boy"???

Anyway there is a new club starting at the weekend playing house and trance,(not my favorites) up at the old Mr Gees, so we'll see how popular that is, if it lasts or goes the way of "The Vaults"...

Theres more to life than this........................;)