aberdeen-music

Help needed, buzzing sound

Indigo_Soul

Guest Electric Tibet

Sounds like an earthing problem. I think the earth wire in teles is connected to the bridgeplate. You might have a loose wire or dry joint somewhere. Someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell you more.

so its a buzzing coming through the amp? not off the guitar, like a fretbuzz or whatever (when you play it not plugged in)?

sounds like it could be a dodgy connection, possibly in your cable if it dissapears when you use a different one? try different combinations of cable/amp if its constantly there, its a pretty safe bet it's your guitar, as already said, prolly your earth. but if it vanishes when you change cable, my moneys on your cable being dodge.

*edit - just read your post again (properly this time!), if its just when you touch metal its ok, then, yeah earth definitly, is a simple enough procedure to fix. just seems weird its not there with a different cable*

If you don't know much about fixing wiring problems and don't want to try and fix it yourself then you could always take it into a shop to get looked at. RnB's have a big back log of work so I wouldn't bother going there. Try ProSound on Holburn Street or Bruce Millers on Union Street.

Guest lime ruined my life

how is the bridgeplate usually earthed?

i have a squire, but im stripping it all out and leaving just the body (which will get replaced at some point). i was going to use conductive copper tape in the cavity and leave some hangover at the top to contact with the bridgeplate, and then earth the copper tape. out of interest how is it usually earthed? i tried soldering an earth wire to it but the bridge plate is made out of some shitty metal that wont "stick" to solder.

as said above, it sounds like there is a problem with the grounding on the guitar...

first thing i would do would be to open it up and look for any loose wires or dodgy solder joints, as they are usually the cause of problems like these and can be quite common on cheaper guitars

David