aberdeen-music

4-Track help

Guest Electric Tibet

Guest Stripey

another alternative is to get something like this: http://www.dv247.com/invt/4605 for 179 quid inc vat, or the cut down version which is just the same but lacks S/PDIF http://www.dv247.com/invt/4604 for 139 quid inc vat.

@four balanced or unbalanced, +4dB or -10dB signal level analogue inputs and outputs@

Then you'd just need a copy of something like Logic and a PC to stick the card into, and hey presto, 4-track digital harddisc recorder with full vst fx support.

Guest Electric Tibet

I already have a PC with logic and a pro audio card plus a digital 4-track. :bat:

I want a cassette based 4-track to get a specific type of drum sound and I need 4 inputs to mic it all up.

Thanks for all yr help

:love::love::love: X-(

Guest Stripey
I already have a PC with logic and a pro audio card plus a digital 4-track. :bat:

I want a cassette based 4-track to get a specific type of drum sound and I need 4 inputs to mic it all up.

Thanks for all yr help

:love::love::love: X-(

Why cassette based, how is that gonna affect the sound? The only thing I can see it doing is being lower quality than your digital setup?....

Guest Electric Tibet

Compression, harmonic distortion, wow, flutter, phase-shift, cross talk...

all cool things. I want to use the sound as a kind of effect.

Ever tried overloading a digital recorder? :puke::puke::puke:

Ever heard The Flaming Lips?

Guest Stripey
Compression' date=' harmonic distortion, wow, flutter, phase-shift, cross talk...

all good things.

Ever tried overloading a digital recorder? :puke::puke::puke:

Ever heard the Flaming Lips?[/quote']

Yeah digital distortion is unpleasant. I haven't heard the Flaming Lips.

I prefer to start with the cleanest possible recording and do all the sound manipulation inside my vst host. It just sounds a bit wierd to want to record your drums on some old tape 4-track when you have a perfectly good digital 4-track already.

I don't see how a analogue 4-track is gonna provide you with compression either. People got some strange recording habits round here.

Guest Stripey
Maybe you should find out about some of the strange recording habits...might give you something new to incorporate into your digital work.

I doubt it, my sides are splitting reading about some of this stuff.

Guest Electric Tibet
=Stripey

I prefer to start with the cleanest possible recording and do all the sound manipulation inside my vst host. It just sounds a bit wierd to want to record your drums on some old tape 4-track when you have a perfectly good digital 4-track already.

I don't see how a analogue 4-track is gonna provide you with compression either. People got some strange recording habits round here.

If I just want compression, I use an outboard compressor while tracking or plugins while mixing.

It's not the properties of the 4-track itself but the tape saturation which gives it the characteristic sound. Tape saturation is often used as an effect in recordings (see the flaming lips). Why do you think tape saturation plugins exist in the first place?

I have several tape sims but they leave me cold. I don't see the point striving to emulate something I can easily have for real. I've used a cassette 4-track many times and know I can get what I want.

Analogue recording is "bad" in the same way that valve guitar amplifiers are bad at what they do. They colour and misrepresent the original sound but in a way which can be used to musical effect. Digital recording creates artefacts as well, which is why high-end analogue stuff still exists in good studios.

You should open your mind AND listen to the Flaming Lips. Or better still, Guitar Wolf.

Guest Stripey
Oh I forgot analouge techniques which aren't sophisticated <that's what you like isn't it?> are just laughable.

Well for starters, what Electric Tibet is suggesting is not very clever. If he wants the "feel" of analogue tape, the sensible way to do it would be to record with his digital 4-track and then dump it to tape, so at least that way the original hi quality recording still exists.

I'm not obsessed with "sophisticated technology", I'm concerned with getting good results which compare to the quality of mainstream recordings. Why anyone would want to record their lovingly crafted material into some shitty analogue 4-track and bounce it straight to CD-R just baffles me.

Because they are not going for main stream quality. However what Electric Tibet is doing is using a technique which is used in mainstream recordings as he pointed out. Sometimes it's effective to use a really "bad" quality sound to make a good quality recording. I am also sure that in some circles recording to 4 track and going straight to CD-RW is quite sufficient/desirable.

Guest Stripey
Because they are not going for main stream quality. However what Electric Tibet is doing is using a technique which is used in mainstream recordings as he pointed out. Sometimes it's effective to use a really "bad" quality sound to make a good quality recording.

Yeah I know that tape saturation has a distinctive sound, I just wouldn't record straight to tape when I had a digital system, because it leaves your options open at the mixdown stage, if you retain the original good quality recording.

Personally, I think every band should be aiming for producing tracks to the standard of the mainstream studios, i.e a recording that sounds professional rather than a recording that sounds like a bunch of potheads doing a quick session in captain toms.

Guest Electric Tibet

Stipey, do you mean record to digital, dump to analogue and then record to digital again?

That would mean two digital to analogue and two analogue to digital conversions (including playback). Surely you must know the effects of this on sound quality?

And I was intending to use the 4-track only for the drums and record the rest on PC for a cleaner sound - to get the best of both worlds.

The tone of this thread has gone from a polite request for help, to discussion, to personal insults which I find most distasteful.

I intend to produce quality, professional results which for me means keeping an open mind and trying new approaches.

BTW I have recorded, mixed and mastered material by several bands (including my own) over the last four years which has recieved airplay on BBC Radio One, BBC Radio Scotland, Beat 106FM, Northsound One FM and other stations in countries from Australia to Spain.

Guest Stripey
Stipey' date=' do you mean record to digital, dump to analogue and then record to digital again?

That would mean two digital to analogue and two analogue to digital conversions (including playback). Surely you must know the effects of this on sound quality?

And I was intending to use the 4-track only for the drums and record the rest on PC for a cleaner sound - to get the best of both worlds.

The tone of this thread has gone from a polite request for help, to discussion, to personal insults which I find most distasteful.

I intend to produce quality, professional results which for me means keeping an open mind and trying new approaches.

BTW I have recorded, mixed and mastered material by several bands (including my own) over the last four years which has recieved airplay on BBC Radio One, BBC Radio Scotland, Beat 106FM, Northsound One FM and other stations in countries from Australia to Spain.[/quote']

I'm not trying to insult anyone I'm just a bit surprised at the way people go about things. (see the other thread about home recording). I know what you mean about the D/A conversion but if your audio interface is up to it, it shouldnt be a problem surely? Especially since you are mixing down digitally anyway...

BTW I have also written, mixed and mastered my own material which has had airplay on various internet radio stations and clubs in the USA....

Fuxake Stripers, how do you do it?

I am always amazed at your ability to turn a reasonable exchange of ideas into WWIII. You just will not accept any other point of view than your own, will you? Because someone wants to do something differently from you does not mean they are wrong. It's a big old old world out there, and you are just as insignificant in it as everyone else. You really don't know how little you know. Get over yourself, and try and allow people to do what they want. You have no right to take the piss, so stop it.

Back to Mono!!!!

One of my favourite records recently was the Devandra Banhart one, which was recorded straight to a cheap cassette recorder....wonderful!!! But I just love the messiness of it. Stripey loves a more clinical sound, and that's fine too, just not what I would want.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Kitchen Cynics.........................................Hi Fi, Lo Fi, any old Fi..................................................

Guest Stripey
Fuxake Stripers' date=' how do you do it?

I am always amazed at your ability to turn a reasonable exchange of ideas into WWIII. You just will not accept any other point of view than your own, will you? Because someone wants to do something differently from you does not mean they are wrong. It's a big old old world out there, and you are just as insignificant in it as everyone else. You really don't know how little you know. Get over yourself, and try and allow people to do what they want. You have no right to take the piss, so stop it.[/quote']

Man, I know I am just as insignificant as anyone else, but dont have a go at me for having self confidence and my own opinions, I'm nobodys bitch and I'm living my life for myself on my own terms, sorry if that offends you or anyone else but thats the way it is. It's healthy to discuss things in a no-nonsense manner in my opinion, and it's in my nature to question everything. I've got as much right as you or anyone else to say what I want to say.

By the way, you don't know me well enough to pass judgement on what I know.

Man' date=' I know I am just as insignificant as anyone else, but dont have a go at me for having self confidence and my own opinions, I'm nobodys bitch and I'm living my life for myself on my own terms, sorry if that offends you or anyone else but thats the way it is. It's healthy to discuss things in a no-nonsense manner in my opinion, and it's in my nature to question everything. I've got as much right as you or anyone else to say what I want to say.

By the way, you don't know me well enough to pass judgement on what I know.[/quote']

All I'm saying is you seem to think the only way to push yourself and your opinions is to belittle those of others. Of course you have a right to say what you think, but there is simply no need for saying the likes of -

"I doubt it, my sides are splitting reading about some of this stuff."

- i.e. you are laughing at other people for being so stupid.

or

"Well for starters, what Electric Tibet is suggesting is not very clever."

- i.e. Electric Tibet is being stupid.

Different is not always wrong.

It's a shame you spent so long trying to get back on this board so you could take part in exactly this kind of discussion, and you're fucking it up already for the sake of a little bit of respect. But I've had this conversation with you before, you probably won't pay me any heed this time either, so off you go and alienate whoever you want. Just don't expect them to help you if you ever need it.

Guest Stripey
All I'm saying is you seem to think the only way to push yourself and your opinions is to belittle those of others. Of course you have a right to say what you think' date=' but there is simply no need for saying the likes of -

"I doubt it, my sides are splitting reading about some of this stuff."

- i.e. you are laughing at other people for being so stupid.

or

"Well for starters, what Electric Tibet is suggesting is not very clever."

- i.e. Electric Tibet is being stupid.

Different is not always wrong.

[/quote']

No, not "i.e electric tibet is stupid" Like in the thread about homosexuality, you are interpreting and rephrasing what I've said to suit your ends and making me out to be something I'm not. In my opinion, if I was using tape as an effect, or any other kind of effect, it would be wiser to take a perfect digital recording before processing the sound through the effect, incase you need to change the way it sounds at a later date.

"different is not always wrong", I know that, and the same goes for my personality and opinions aswell, or are you conveniently forgetting that?

It's a shame you spent so long trying to get back on this board so you could take part in exactly this kind of discussion' date=' and you're fucking it up already for the sake of a little bit of respect. But I've had this conversation with you before, you probably won't pay me any heed this time either, so off you go and alienate whoever you want. Just don't expect them to help you if you ever need it.[/quote']

I don't need or desire the respect or help of anyone on this forum, and I certainly don't need you or anyone else dissecting and judging my personality and motives when you haven't even met me. You could always just mind your own business.