aberdeen-music

10 favourite punk shows

Guest allsystemsfail

Guest allsystemsfail

Here are mine:

CONFLICT, ICONS OF FILTH, SUBHUMANS, LOST CHERREES, INNER TERRESTRIALS, DISORDER, HEADJAM, BLAGGERS AKA, ANTI-FLAG. Sept. 2003, London

POISON GIRLS, ZOUNDS, OMEGA TRIBE + Penny and Eve from CRASS. June 1995, London. Vi Subversa's 60th birthday bash.

CONFLICT, SCHWARTZENEGGAR, FEAR OF FEAR. January 1994, London

OI POLLOI + SUBSTANDARD. August 1993, London

HARUM SCARUM + OI POLLOI. April 2000, Aberdeen

THE DAGDA + SCATHA. 2003, Aberdeen

KOCHISE + RIOT/CLONE. October 1996, London

CITIZEN FISH + BENDER. August 1995, London

CONFLICT, DIRT, KOCHISE, CITIZEN FISH. October 1994, London. As part of Anarchy In The UK - Ten Days That Shook The World fest.

DIRT + FINAL WARNING. 1995, London

THE DAGDA + SCATHA. 2003' date=' Aberdeen

[/quote']

ahhh, can't believe I fucking missed that. was in Abu Dhabi. Fucking arse.

my ones were probably.

Cathode, Easpa Measa, La Familia Miranda, Belgian Waffles, Strange Corner, Voice of Aggression @ Utrecht, Holland 2003

Belgian Waffles, Vinnies Cunts, Bad Blood, Valdez, Voice of Aggression @ Eppegem, Belgium 2003

Active Minds, The Varukers, Swellbellys, Dog on a Rope, EatYerGreens, Voice of Aggression @ Kirkcaldy 2003

Social Insecurity, Infeckja, Afterbirth, Filthpact @ Edinburgh 2004

Guest allsystemsfail
ahhh' date=' can't believe I fucking missed that. was in Abu Dhabi. Fucking arse.

my ones were probably.

Cathode, Easpa Measa, La Familia Miranda, Belgian Waffles, Strange Corner, Voice of Aggression @ Utrecht, Holland 2003

Belgian Waffles, Vinnies Cunts, Bad Blood, Valdez, Voice of Aggression @ Eppegem, Belgium 2003

Active Minds, The Varukers, Swellbellys, Dog on a Rope, EatYerGreens, Voice of Aggression @ Kirkcaldy 2003

Social Insecurity, Infeckja, Afterbirth, Filthpact @ Edinburgh 2004[/quote']

Yeah, The Dagda kill.

Active Minds? Nice nice guys. And DIY to the core. I actually caught their very first London show 1993 with DIRT.

i guess cos its hard to come up with 10 that are punk cos then it goes down to what is punk etc ie: Pink Grease sound like New York Dolls but I dunno if i could include them, and I don't know if to include Allergo cos their metal but with a hardcore attitude...well I'll have a go but in no particular order:

FREAKS UNION: anti-war gig,, hull, welly: A great sense of unity down the front, everyone marching while chanting no war...

PENNYWISE: leeds fest 2003: one of first punk bands i got into and they played a blinder of a set

TEARJERK, old george Goole : A fuckin ace venue in the fastest rising punk scene in the UK...only holds like 60 people but everyone loved it...ended with their new, classic song "hope against hope" with everyone in crowd holding baz up while he sang

STRIKEOUT: boston. the indian queen: Already one of most established punk scenes....such an amazing gig with circle pits, wall of deaths and human pyramids

REAL MCKENZIES: Aberdeen, dr drakes...hadnt been to a gig with such a good atmosphere in the crowd since the anti-war gig mentioned above, no one was there to look macho in the pit, it was just bout havin a good time and the band were great

SEVERED HEAD OF STATE: Aberdeen, dr drakes

KING PRAWN: Hull, Welly Club

ACT OF VIOLENCE: Scarborough, murrays : Ok this more metal...in your sick of it all meets hatebreed kinda way but still ace, vocalist had a broken foot and was jumping off tables

BREHVNEZ, aberdeen, dr drakes: A great band, shame they split

FREAKS UNION, hull, welly club (again)

Guest allsystemsfail
well it is punk' date=' it isnt exactly gonna be popular... [/size'] :partyboy:

I'm just perplexed. There are punk folks post here, but they haven't posted a message.

Guest allsystemsfail
i guess cos its hard to come up with 10 that are punk cos then it goes down to what is punk etc ie: Pink Grease sound like New York Dolls but I dunno if i could include them' date=' and I don't know if to include Allergo cos their metal but with a hardcore attitude...well I'll have a go but in no particular order:

FREAKS UNION: anti-war gig,, hull, welly: A great sense of unity down the front, everyone marching while chanting no war...

PENNYWISE: leeds fest 2003: one of first punk bands i got into and they played a blinder of a set

TEARJERK, old george Goole : A fuckin ace venue in the fastest rising punk scene in the UK...only holds like 60 people but everyone loved it...ended with their new, classic song "hope against hope" with everyone in crowd holding baz up while he sang

STRIKEOUT: boston. the indian queen: Already one of most established punk scenes....such an amazing gig with circle pits, wall of deaths and human pyramids

REAL MCKENZIES: Aberdeen, dr drakes...hadnt been to a gig with such a good atmosphere in the crowd since the anti-war gig mentioned above, no one was there to look macho in the pit, it was just bout havin a good time and the band were great

SEVERED HEAD OF STATE: Aberdeen, dr drakes

KING PRAWN: Hull, Welly Club

ACT OF VIOLENCE: Scarborough, murrays : Ok this more metal...in your sick of it all meets hatebreed kinda way but still ace, vocalist had a broken foot and was jumping off tables

BREHVNEZ, aberdeen, dr drakes: A great band, shame they split

FREAKS UNION, hull, welly club (again)[/quote']

Severed Head Of State? Yeah, they were great.

Preferred Brezhnev first time round. Crazy frontman.

Nae debating about what's punk or not :p

Capdown @ Kef - Can't remember which time this was but this was an excellent gig (as Capdown are prone to put on :) ) with plenty of dancing freens there.

Misfits @ Lemon Tree - Nae the original lineup and a' that but again the many freens dancing and buildup of drinking was most pleasing indeed. Shame I missed SikTh that night though.

Amen @ Gig On The Green - First time I'd seen them and an incendiary performance. Chaos comes out on crutches, jumps off amps, berates us, screams and shouts and generally is everything I'd hoped for and more. Love this band.

Alec Empire @ Leeds Festival - Got my shoes destroyed by one of the maddest crowds I've been in and thoroughly enjoyed the electropunk mayhem of the ATR man.

Turbonegro @ Lemon Tree - Death punk pedallers often overlooked as 'serious' musicians due to the hilarity ensuing from their appearance but excellent solos, Hank's onstage banter and the blood and feathering of the audience clinch this one for me :D

Dangerfields @ Drakes - The most recent appearance. Got myself a t-shirt and had an excellent time dancing throughout the set. The band as ever are excellent and my trainers get absolutely wrecked. Apparently you enjoy yourself more if an item of footwear is destroyed at a gig :D

Swellbellys @ Drakes - The second last time they've played here. Waited for so long to see them and enjoyed them through a boozy haze.

The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster @ Caird Hall - Excellent support act for the mighty Placebo. Wild-eyed staring and a man with about a thousand different voices in him made this the perfect setup for an excellent set from Molko and co.

The Offspring @ Leeds Festival - All set to repeat this [hopefully] at this years festival. Genuinely seemed to be enjoying themselves and an excellent setlist meant they were a most pleasing live prospect.

Karloff @ Drakes - With the Gin Goblins is probably my favourite Karloff appearance. Enthusiastic crowd and muchos moshworthy action complimenting Ash's usual onstage antics. Tight set and now can't wait for the Lemon Tree launch :up:

Some memorable shows:

Outcold/We Become Less/In Decades Decline - Old Drakes - Long Time ago

Oi Polloi/Liber8 + 1 i can't remember - Old Drakes - Long Time Ago

Breznhev(1st time With the pogo stick)/Stillborn +1? - Dr Drakes

Cathode/Easpa Measa/VOA + More - Utrecht Holland Summer 2003.

Remains Of the Day / Keitzer + Tonnes more - Dr Drakes Sept 2003.

Capdown/Whizzwood + More? - Lava Long Time Ago

Napalm Death + Nu Metal bands i can't remember - Lava Long Time Ago

Scatha/In Decades Decline/black Atom/Risactonia/Residue - Dr Drakes Summer 2002

Divide/In Decades Decline/Stillborn/Ruptured Spleen - Dr Drakes Winter 2002?

Guest allsystemsfail
Some memorable shows:

Outcold/We Become Less/In Decades Decline - Old Drakes - Long Time ago

Oi Polloi/Liber8 + 1 i can't remember - Old Drakes - Long Time Ago

Breznhev(1st time With the pogo stick)/Stillborn +1? - Dr Drakes

Cathode/Easpa Measa/VOA + More - Utrecht Holland Summer 2003.

Remains Of the Day / Keitzer + Tonnes more - Dr Drakes Sept 2003.

Capdown/Whizzwood + More? - Lava Long Time Ago

Napalm Death + Nu Metal bands i can't remember - Lava Long Time Ago

Scatha/In Decades Decline/black Atom/Risactonia/Residue - Dr Drakes Summer 2002

Divide/In Decades Decline/Stillborn/Ruptured Spleen - Dr Drakes Winter 2002?

You caught that show with Oi Polloi? Cool. Yeah, Social Insecurity played that night too.

Guest allsystemsfail
Yeah that was a while back eh? Think I'd just turned 18.

Remember some friends and I had taken part in a march against the war on Afghanistan here in Aberdeen that day. Hung up the banner we'd made at the gig.

Guest Andrew Griswold

THE JOYCE MCKINNEY EXPERIENCE - Belfast Art College 1988

THERAPY? - Belfast Art College 1991

BAD RELIGION + LEATHERFACE + DRIVE - London Astoria 1991

STIFF LITTLE FINGERS - Belfast Ulster Hall 1991

RAMONES - Brixton Academy 1992

MOTRHEAD - London Forum 1994

ZEKE + THE HOOKERS + THE BULEMICS - NYC Knitting Factory 2000

THE UNDERTONES - Londonderry Vibe 2000

NAPALM DEATH - Edinburgh Liquid Rooms 2001

THE DONNAS - Glasgow Cathouse 2001

NASHVILLE PUSSY - Glasgow Cathouse 2001

MISFITS - Dublin Temple Bar Music Centre 2003

POISON IDEA - Belfast Warzone Centre 2003

HANSON BROTHERS - Belfast Front Page 2003

Yes I know that's 14 - sue me!

Guest allsystemsfail
THE JOYCE MCKINNEY EXPERIENCE - Belfast Art College 1988

THERAPY? - Belfast Art College 1991

BAD RELIGION + LEATHERFACE + DRIVE - London Astoria 1991

STIFF LITTLE FINGERS - Belfast Ulster Hall 1991

RAMONES - Brixton Academy 1992

MOTRHEAD - London Forum 1994

ZEKE + THE HOOKERS + THE BULEMICS - NYC Knitting Factory 2000

THE UNDERTONES - Londonderry Vibe 2000

NAPALM DEATH - Edinburgh Liquid Rooms 2001

THE DONNAS - Glasgow Cathouse 2001

NASHVILLE PUSSY - Glasgow Cathouse 2001

MISFITS - Dublin Temple Bar Music Centre 2003

POISON IDEA - Belfast Warzone Centre 2003

HANSON BROTHERS - Belfast Front Page 2003

Yes I know that's 14 - sue me!

You saw The Joyce McKinney Experience? Wow. Had a 7" by these folks back in the day, though can't remember what it was called.

Guest Andrew Griswold

Boring Rock. It was great. Their LP, Joyce Offspring, is a masterpiece and long overdue a CD reissue! They were my favourite punk band for ages and ages.

Belfast 1987-1991 was a great time for touring punk/HC bands. This was when I started going to gigs (I was born in '73) and I was lucky enough to see Doom, Concrete Sox, Carcass, Bolt Thrower, Instigators, Snuff, No Means No, The Victim's Family, Ripcord, Sore Throat, Inside Out, Anhrefn, Leatherface, Green Day, Spermbirds, NOFX, Go!, Decadence Within, Chaos UK, Oi Polloi, Active Minds, Drive, Jailcell Recipes, Mega City Four, Senseless Things, Manic Street Preachers and many more 'back in the day'... not to mention kick-ass local bands such as Pink Turds In Space, Sledgehammer, F.U.A.L., Killercrust and God Cops.

Nowadays, the likes of [spunge] and Jesse James don't quite cut it for me!

Guest allsystemsfail
Boring Rock. It was great. Their LP' date=' Joyce Offspring, is a masterpiece and long overdue a CD reissue! They were my favourite punk band for ages and ages.

Belfast 1987-1991 was a great time for touring punk/HC bands. This was when I started going to gigs (I was born in '73) and I was lucky enough to see Doom, Concrete Sox, Carcass, Bolt Thrower, Instigators, Snuff, No Means No, The Victim's Family, Ripcord, Sore Throat, Inside Out, Anhrefn, Leatherface, Green Day, Spermbirds, NOFX, Go!, Decadence Within, Chaos UK, Oi Polloi, Active Minds, Drive, Jailcell Recipes, Mega City Four, Senseless Things, Manic Street Preachers and many more 'back in the day'... not to mention kick-ass local bands such as Pink Turds In Space, Sledgehammer, F.U.A.L., Killercrust and God Cops.

Nowadays, the likes of [spunge'] and Jesse James don't quite cut it for me!

You've caught some cool bands. And FUAL? Shit, their full length Fuck Up And Live is one of my all time favourite albums.

And hey, just noticed you're a member of The Dangerfields. I've caught you guys a few times at Drakes.

Guest Andrew Griswold

Fuck Up And Live is great, another one that could do with a CD reissue.

We're playing Drake's again on 22nd July, you should come see us!

Guest allsystemsfail

Yeah, there's a lot of cool shit from back in the day that I'd love to see re-issued - Dan, Stalag 17, The Apostles, The Next World, Potential Threat, The Sears...

Who are you gonna be playing with at Drakes July 22nd?