aberdeen-music

What's the safest way to...

Guest treader.

Guest treader.

Begin again with my laptop?

Recently nothing has been going right, I cant install programs and everything is slow as holy hell. I have backed all my music and everything onto a 500gb external hard drive and I basically just want to get my computer back to when i first bought it, and then download all the software I am using currently.

I have done Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter in an attempt to speed things up but it's not helping really. I just want to sort of start again.

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ewan.

Do you have the reinstall CD which came with the laptop? That should return you to factory setup.

Failing that, you're talking about reinstalling Windows, finding drivers for all the various components, which depending on your laptop may be easy or difficult if the manufacturer chooses to make it so.

Guest treader.

i tried uninstalling a few programs to try and sort things out.

but when i tried to re-install them, it wont let me.

i cant install anything, it's doing my nut in.

i need some help. i can pay if need be.

i tried uninstalling a few programs to try and sort things out.

but when i tried to re-install them, it wont let me.

i cant install anything, it's doing my nut in.

i need some help. i can pay if need be.

That's not what I asked. Most laptops come with a recovery or reinstall CD which when applied restores the laptop to factory state in the software sense. Do you still have it?

What kind of laptop is it?

Guest treader.

It's a Compaq Presario V6000 running Windows Vista. It has a small separate hard drive to use for recovery rather than discs or whatnot. Im scared to re-install windows though, as it seems a really really drastic measure...

Guest treader.

i dont have a cd. i think, as i said before, it is stored on the "RECOVERY" drive of my computer. handy name that. not sure how to actually open that though, as when i try it just tells me "WARNING. THESE FILES ARE USED FOR BACKUP. DO NOT DELETE OR ALTER THESE FILES" and then...doesnt do anything.