aberdeen-music

PC couch gaming

Le Stu

I'm currently scrimping and saving for a new PC rig, which I intend to plug into my HDTV and use from my sofa. I then intend to sit there and play Warcrack, or whatever other vile second life I can obtain, to get me through the winter.

I'll be getting a wireless mouse and keyboard, but I need something to put them on. Is there any relatively inexpensive lap-desk type accessory I can purchase, or should I really just get a piece of wood, as I will no doubt be hilarially advised!

Why not just use a coffee table or something? Or is the idea so you can lie back on the couch and play?

Maybe one of those little tables for eating in bed would do the job.

Yeah, I'm thinking that. Looking at the gaming gizmos I have found, they seem to lack space for the mouse. Some sort of lap table, tray or something might do the job. I found some strange circular keyboards that cut down on space, also.

I don't really have the option of not lying back in my sofa, unfortunately. Not unless I want to kill my back.

You could always fashion one out of MDF.

I had to look MDF up, but I might just have to as I can't find anything that looks like I'd be happy with it. Maybe I could just have the keyboard on my lap and a mouse pad to the right of me on the sofa... I don't think I'd want to play FPS games that way, but I could always get a USB 360 controller for stuff like that.

There's an entrepreneurial opportunity here, if anyone can be arsed!

*not to sell me a bit of wood. I mean, if you want to develop a product. I can buy my own bit of wood.

I had to look MDF up, but I might just have to as I can't find anything that looks like I'd be happy with it. Maybe I could just have the keyboard on my lap and a mouse pad to the right of me on the sofa... I don't think I'd want to play FPS games that way, but I could always get a USB 360 controller for stuff like that.

There's an entrepreneurial opportunity here, if anyone can be arsed!

*not to sell me a bit of wood. I mean, if you want to develop a product. I can buy my own bit of wood.

Hmm...I'm actually quite tempted to try and knock one up because I too have this problem about gaming and laptop-ing on the couch. Unfortunately, I'm no Handy Andy.

Hmm...I'm actually quite tempted to try and knock one up because I too have this problem about gaming and laptop-ing on the couch. Unfortunately, I'm no Handy Andy.

Me neither. I think I'm going to start with just getting a decent optical mouse mat and ponder the ergonomics of it all. I did find one or two products, but nothing that screams BUY ME.

The LapDesk

Phantom Entertainment - Phantom Lapboard

(teh Phantom... LOL)

Computing On Demand - Belkin - Nostromo Speedpad n52

http://lapinator.com/lapplus.php

Ergonomic Lap Desk from Lapworks

(more for laptops though)

I'm going to make my own this weekend possibly. I will post photos of the results providing I don't injure myself with saws or screws.

Good luck, dude. I'd be interested to see the results.

Currently, I'm typing this with the support of something known as an 'ironing board,' with a couple of wee cushions for my wrists! Bit of a hastle everytime I want to get up and take a piss/make tea though, I suppose... Anyway, I'm just glad to have finally found a use for it.