Frightened Rabbit + We Were Promised Jetpacks + The Little Kicks @ Moshulu

Thursday 18th September

LIVE@ MOSHULU

8.00 adv

tickets from One Up/ ticketweb / seetickets

7.30pm doors

Barfly Aberdeen presents...

FRIGHTENED RABBIT

Though the past year has seen Frightened Rabbit finally step into public view, with more extensive touring and some recordings now publicly available, the past few years have largely been about the band quietly, commitedly honing their sound, and cultivating their art.

An incredibly accomplished live outfit (seemingly without any effort whatsoever), in 2007, a brief but succesful US jaunt, culminated in a sold-out show at The Mercury Lounge in NYC, before the 1st album was even available in the US. After an intense spate of writing, rehearsing, recording, and remixing, and of course playing more live shows, Sings The Greys was remastered by Alan Douches, and re-released in significantly revamped form by FatCat Autumn 2007, along with debut single Be Less Rude. Rounding off the year with the incredible 'It's Christmas So We'll Stop' single, 2008

Following less than six months in tow of the aforementioned LP, Midnight Organ Fight, is their new album and a progression in terms of songwriting and sonic depth. Recorded by Peter Katis (Mercury Rev, Interpol) over the space of two weeks, and mixed over the ensuing fortnight, Midnight Organ Fight was conceived and realised in a much shorter time span than its predecessor, with the intention of creating a more coherent, pop sounding album. Yet although musically more immediate, vitally, the band have not forsaken the personality or passion of any of their earlier recordings.

MySpace.com - Frightened Rabbit - SELKIRK, Scotland - Pop / Folk / Indie - www.myspace.com/frightenedrabbit

SUPPORT from:

WE WERE PROMISED JETPACKS

MySpace.com - we were promised jetpacks. - Glasgow, UK - Alternative / Pop / Other - www.myspace.com/wewerepromisedjetpacks

THE LITTLE KICKS

MySpace.com - the little kicks - Aberdeen, UK - Indie / Pop / Rock - www.myspace.com/thelittlekicks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cant reccomend this gig enough folks, fr live are great but i also saw wwpj at connect at the weekend and they were great too - really energetic and plenty of hooks.

afterparty for this at snafu will be (free with your gig ticket too)

@ DHC-= X-vectors live / DHC DJS

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest treader.
Quite looking forward to this gig. Had their latest album on loop whilst driving around Isle of Skye this summer; so everytime I listen to it now it reminds me of stunning cliffs, glens, lochs and a sense of serenity :love: :love: :love:

the isle of skye is fucking great.

but then you knew that, didnt you?

Poke, unamplified and completely acoustic to a packed moshulu crowd... fucking priceless!

That was the only song of theres in knew and it was amazing.

I went coz my mate got me on the guest list.

Definetely a Fan of them now.

The Little Kicks were great too.

We Were Promised Jetpacks were better live than i thought they were going to be but still thought they were rubbish.

I thought jet packs were good. They're only young and I think they'll get better and better still.

I listened to there stuff on Myspace earlier and thought they were terrible.

To be fair tonight they were far from terrible. By the end of there set I was beginning to enjoy it.

So I will revise my opinion slightly and say they were OK.

Looking back I was maybe being a little harsh and was slightly blinded by how great Frightened Rabbit were.

Guest idol_wild

I got very little out of last night.

Because I was playing football beforehand, I arrived just as The Little Kicks were finishing up. Thought they sounded grittier and more energetic as a three-peice actually. I know Toby won't want to read that, but hey ;) Not many bands in Aberdeen can boast a voice as strong as Steven Milne's either. Never a duff note. It's enough to make a grown man jealous.

I really really really expected to fall in love with We Were Promised Jetpacks. Indeed, I have enquired several times over the past six months as to their availibility to come up and play a show but their drummer was unavailable for ages. But..I just didn't get in to their set. As I suspected from countless listens on their myspace, Quiet Little Voices is the only stand-out track they have. Just an ordinary indie-pop band, who clearly harbour ambitions to sound exactly like Frightened Rabbit. Does anyone else think the singer looked like a chunky version of the guitarist from The Twilight Sad? Are they brothers? Twins?

Frightened Rabbit are a band suited to smaller, intimate gigs. The sound was terrible - I could hardly hear it and I was situated at the back of the floor area, directly in front of the sound desk. Didn't help that the majority of the crowd were chatting away, but to me it seemed like the band were just going through the motions a little bit. So I left after the fifth song - I was bored. That said, I was told by someone who arrived for the last three songs of the set that the sound was loud and concise, so maybe the engineer cleaned his act up a little?

i'm with you on the sound being pretty bad for the first half of the set...i was at the front and even there it just seemed really quiet, drums and vocals over everything else...but i know jack shit about sound engineering, so that's just my opinion. i think by the time they played 'The Twist' everything sharpened up and I really got into it after that. I would have been gutted if the whole set had sounded like the first couple songs.

Guest idol_wild
i'm with you on the sound being pretty bad for the first half of the set...i was at the front and even there it just seemed really quiet, drums and vocals over everything else...but i know jack shit about sound engineering, so that's just my opinion. i think by the time they played 'The Twist' everything sharpened up and I really got into it after that. I would have been gutted if the whole set had sounded like the first couple songs.

Ah well, I probably should have stayed, 'cos I think it was by the end of The Twist that I left.

Still. A professional sound engineer really ought to be nailing the band he's touring with during the soundcheck with only slight tweaks required during the set.

Guest treader.

agreed. the sound was total guff until Keep Yourself Warm. but i still enjoyed what i was hearing.

that fourth member though...gave off a level of onstage awkwardness not seen since Keesher played with Point of Origin!