aberdeen-music

Space Giraffe

Le Stu

It's true, this game is only for those who really want to like it. I just figured out how to play it, after it sitting on my HD practically untouched for two weeks. It's true that it's a lot different from Tempest, even though it has the same basic concept, but the game' mechanics and scoring are nothing like it.

I managed to get 12th on the weekly scoreboard, without being any good, so it seems it's not the most popular kiddy in the class.

I'v tried the trial version twice, and I really wanted it to be good, but it's not. Minter (the guy who made it) is acting like a spoiled brat about it's lack of sales, crying because Frogger outsold it.

I agree. I could respect him making a self indulgent, wacky, ridiculously difficult, disorienting shooter, and I like the idea of it enough to get into it, but he can't have it both ways! This game has no mainstream appeal, and that reflects it's poor sales.

I'd hope he feels like a bit of a numpty for writing that.

It's not although the public doesn't like 'old skool' games, as proven by Geo Wars 2 which is the fastest selling Xbox live arcade game so far. Minter should pick himself up, dust himself off and try again.

On the subject of live arcade has anyone else on here tried Bionic Commando rearmed? It's very good, whether you liked the original or not. A very good example of how an old game should be updated for a modern audience.

On the subject of live arcade has anyone else on here tried Bionic Commando rearmed? It's very good, whether you liked the original or not. A very good example of how an old game should be updated for a modern audience.

On account of Bionic Commando being far and away my favourite NES title, I'd been looking forward to this for quite some time. Have to say i'm not dissapointed!

It plays great, the music is brilliant, they have managed to keep the same 8bit bleepy feel of the orginal whilst adding some killer drums and whatnot, normally musical updates enrage me in games.

Also, there are so many nods to the original (original extra life graphic, original sound effects, 8bit graphics hidden amongst the stages) that I couldn't help but smile to myself whilst playing it through.

All in all excellent purchase!

It's true, this game is only for those who really want to like it. I just figured out how to play it, after it sitting on my HD practically untouched for two weeks. It's true that it's a lot different from Tempest, even though it has the same basic concept, but the game' mechanics and scoring are nothing like it.

I managed to get 12th on the weekly scoreboard, without being any good, so it seems it's not the most popular kiddy in the class.

Can you explain to me how to play it then? I bought it when it first came out, but I still have no idea what im trying to do...

Can you explain to me how to play it then? I bought it when it first came out, but I still have no idea what im trying to do...

I've only just figured out the basics, myself, but I'll have a go. The basic scoring strategy is not to shoot the beasties before they get to the top of the grid but instead to let as many of them as possible up to the rim and then 'bull' them off at once, with your giraffe for a bonus multiplier. The catch is that you can only do this when your powerzone (the bar that travels up the grid) is extended beyond the rim, otherwise touching them is fatal, and you can only keep it extended by shooting baddies, bullets, and collecting powerups. So, it's a balance between maximising your score and protecting your giraffe.

There's mad shit about the flowers, and things I haven't seen yet that I haven't worked out. Hope that helps!

I've only just figured out the basics, myself, but I'll have a go. The basic scoring strategy is not to shoot the beasties before they get to the top of the grid but instead to let as many of them as possible up to the rim and then 'bull' them off at once, with your giraffe for a bonus multiplier. The catch is that you can only do this when your powerzone (the bar that travels up the grid) is extended beyond the rim, otherwise touching them is fatal, and you can only keep it extended by shooting baddies, bullets, and collecting powerups. So, it's a balance between maximising your score and protecting your giraffe.

There's mad shit about the flowers, and things I haven't seen yet that I haven't worked out. Hope that helps!

Bugger it. I'm going back to hexic.

• 2 weeks later...