aberdeen-music

White Falcon

MikeyEB

Has anyone ever played a Gretsch White Falcon? Despite the love I feel for my Telecaster I can't help feeling attracted to them. Looks wise they may be a bit of a "tarts handbag" but I think that may be part of the appeal. Anyway, any good or bad points. I mostly enjoy country style stuff.

No, but I love my Gretsch.

It's a 1999 6119, upgraded with TV Jones pups (Magnatron bridge, Powertron neck), a bar bridge and a "Chet Atkins" pickguard.

4364383540a5201770577l.jpg

I love Gretsch, but I've never really "got" the White falcons for some reason. For me, the classic orange 6120 would be the ultimate Gretsch, although after making my mods I wouldn't change now.

I can't stress enough how amazing the TV Jones pickups are. They are essential in any Gretsch in my opinion.

Thanks again for that info, it was very helpful. I imagine I will save up for one of the US models but I will try one of the Electromatics out as well. Then I just need to convince my wife that it's an essential purchase. Which it is........

They are made in Japan now, except for a very small number of ridiculously expensive ones that are made in the US. The Electromatics are made in Korea or China I think.

Don't let all this put you off though, most people agree that the Japanese made Gretsches coming out just now are the best ever built.

If you've got your heart set on a White Falcon then I guess nothing else will do, but the new Electromatics coupled with some TV Jones pickups will get you a very nice sounding Gretsch for not that much money.

Gretsch G5120 Electromatic Hollow Body, Electric Guitar, Electric Guitar Guitars

Eeeww, I'd steer clear of that.

Get yourself over to the Gretsch Discussion Pages to find testimony from lots of real life Gretsch players who have bought these instruments and love them.

Raises an interesting point about what you consider to be a "real" Gretsch though. My one comes from the more expensive ie Made in Japan line. It says "Gretsch" on the headstock. The one in the link comes from the cheaper, Made in Korea line. It also says "Gretsch" on the headstock.

Which one is a "real" Gretsch? Or are the real Gretsches the ones that were made in the US until 1979?

This is probably one of the classic guitar questions isn't it? There is the Epiphone/Gibson debate and the various price levels at Fender etc. As soon as I got my Mexican Tele I wanted an American one! A certain amount of snobbery/fetishism was involved in that purchase though, much as I hate to admit it.

I tried an Electromatic out today and I agree, they are very nice guitars for the price. I guess I am looking at this as a serious "once in a lifetime" purchase so I am going to save for the Japan line. I see what you mean about the 6120, nice!

This has been very useful, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Which one is a "real" Gretsch? Or are the real Gretsches the ones that were made in the US until 1979?

i remember reading an article in guitar magazine where repaired a "real" vintage gretsch to show just how poorly made it was! once they took of the pick ups and covers your could see that the pick up holes werent cut straight and the neck was just terrible! but people still pay rediculous amunts for the "quality" american instruments!

thet put those TV jones pick ups in it as well. :up: