aberdeen-music

Ressurecting Old Threads

This gets on my tits.

for example, a three year old thread was opened today for no real reason other than a bit of nostalgia - and that leads to someone reminiscing about how drunk on Guiness they were that night. Gripping stuff......

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/feedback-forum/8701-explosions-sky-last-night-4.html

same with the one about a Hamster for Sale the other week - considering it was also about 3 years old & hasters live for about 2 years then someone was in for a shock there.

can old threads not be "closed" after about 6 months of no posts or, say, within 2 years of the opening date?

there just seems to be too many old threads that are lazily reopened with a stupid comment that then start arguments again - or, worse still, arguments about arguments.

ah come on now, nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia. fair enough if it's done to restart an argument but i went looking for that thread because i'd been listening to explosions for the first time in ages and it got me remembering the drummonds gig and i thought others might like to reminisce. what harm is it doing? you don't have to read them.

ah come on now, nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia. fair enough if it's done to restart an argument but i went looking for that thread because i'd been listening to explosions for the first time in ages and it got me remembering the drummonds gig and i thought others might like to reminisce. what harm is it doing? you don't have to read them.

I'm just using that as an example.

i don't understand why people don't just open a new thread and reference the old one at the very leat - like I said, it's lazy.

I guess it depends on the intention behind re-opening the thread. If it can be done within a valid, up to date context then that would be fair enough. Bumping dormant threads for no reason however is likely just to annoy people and I tend to close threads when that happens as it just leads to confusion (people don't tend to look at the date on a thread or post).

Dave's bumping of the explosions in the sky thread was on the edge. I understand why it was bumped but perhaps a little more context than just "wow, this really happened" could have been used in the actual act of bumping it.

I believe old threads in the general discussion forum are deleted after a certain amount of time, but not in the other forums.

I'm certainly not going to spend hours of my life going around closing every thread (and there would be thousands of them) that is over 6 months old.

Personally speaking, I don't think this is a big problem. It doesn't happen that often and when it does, although mildly irritating, does at least allow some people to have a reminiscent moment - "Oh, I remember when that was first posted...".

Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but I don't see this as a problem that needs addressing just now I'm afraid.

P.S. As an aside, no threads get deleted after a specific amount of time now. This stopped happening after The Wasteland forum was replaced.

I'm certainly not going to spend hours of my life going around closing every thread (and there would be thousands of them) that is over 6 months old.

Personally speaking, I don't think this is a big problem. It doesn't happen that often and when it does, although mildly irritating, does at least allow some people to have a reminiscent moment - "Oh, I remember when that was first posted...".

Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but I don't see this as a problem that needs addressing just now I'm afraid.

P.S. As an aside, no threads get deleted after a specific amount of time now. This stopped happening after The Wasteland forum was replaced.

Fair enuff - however, when your servers explode in a few months due the massive amount of nostalgic threads that reappear then don't say I didn't warn you!