aberdeen-music

[GIG] Meursault (LP launch!)/Steven Dedalus/Debutant: Cellar 35, Sat 12th April, 8pm

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

Idol_Wild Promotions is delighted to present for you:

Meursault

www.myspace.com/meursaulta701

"the shape of folk to come"

It'd be all-too-easy and utterly unjust to class Meursault as "folktronica" because they're much fucking better than that. Meursault create a heart-rendering fushion of electronic beats and loops, banjo, ukelele, guitar, glockenspiel, and a voice to make you cry...out of all three eyes. These young men from Edinburgh have a brand spanking new album to launch up here. Buy it. It'll probably be the finest purchase you'll ever make.

Steven Dedalus

www.myspace.com/stevendedalususedtobeapopstar

Does anyone remember some Aberdeen pop band called Dedalus? Well Steven was the singer, which makes sense given his name. He was also one of the key writers, and this is his first return to Aberdeen in a performance capacity.

Debutant

www.myspace.com/musicbydebutant

Debutant is one man, a guitar, a capo, some effects pedals, and some songs. Some are instrumental, others are not. He tries to be dreamy and ambient, yet affecting and visceral. Is he a pretentious twat or just some half-assed loser who has nothing else to do? Or both? You decide.

Saturday 12th April, 2008

Cellar 35

8pm

Guest idol_wild
everyone should go see meursault as they fucking rule. i'm sure steven and phil will be awesome too but really meursault are amazing.

Oh, I'll be rubbish.

But Lazy Sheepdog (Pete) will be amazing.

He beats rhythms on his banjo and plays notes on it at the same time. :popcorn:

Guest idol_wild

Here is a rather decent review of Meursault's album on songbytoad.com. Come and see them and buy their album. I know you'll love it.

Meursault

Pissing on Bonfires/Kissing With Tongues

This is just a brilliant, brilliant album. I dont know what it is about the Meursault sound that I love so much, but theres something in the combination of scratchy, back-of-the-cupboard-in-the-next-room electronica and the reckless chimes of the banjo and ukulele that just makes me crazy. Then theres the pace; the music may be open to accusations of miserablism but its not morose, and that rhythm just drives it on through everything as if even in heartbreak it had somewhere very urgent to go.

And then theres also the voice. Ive described Neil Pennycooks superb vocals as a plaintive howl in a live setting, but recorded hes a bit less dominant. Theyve faded his voice out slightly, and put it in the back of the same cupboard as the electronics. Its so deliberately crackly and just slightly distant that theres a kind of mysterious quality to this album, almost like an old photograph thats blurred just enough that you cant quite be sure of the faces youre looking at, but you think they look just enough like you that you might be related: disquieting slightly, and yet familar and intimate.

Neil said that they recorded their first EP with the help of a label, but that the label didnt really bring much to the equation that he felt he couldnt do better himself, so they released this album without a label. Go to their MySpace and order a copy - youll have to contact them as the only Buy It link appears to still be for their old EP, although hopefully theyll get that sorted soon enough - and I can promise you you wont regret it. The whole record has perfect shape, a gently arcing emotional direction, and a gorgeous sense of completeness, the likes of which I havent heard in a proper album for a while.

If last year was the year of the small label on Song, by Toad, then this year is shaping up to be the year of the self-release.

Guest Steven Dedalus
There is rumour that Steven Dedalus will be playing Almost Parallel on a ukelele.

He may or may not be able to verify this.

If it survives customs, then the answer is yes.

Guest idol_wild

I don't think many people trust Cellar 35 as a competent venue yet, which is a shame. If this gig was at The Tunnels, the attendance and level of interest would be far greater, I fear.

Which is odd.

Oh well. I'm going to have to resort to: Please Come!

It'll be three pounds well spent.