aberdeen-music

Punk Lives and Zig Zag

Anyone else recall these eighties punk and goth mags? Featured Conflict, UK Decay, Psychic TV, Xmal Deutschland, The Mob, Alien Sex Fiend, Rubella Ballet, Southern Death Cult, Poison Girls, and more.

For those who missed 'em, here are a collection of pages from both mags courtesy of Kill Your Pet Puppy:

killyourpetpuppy/Punk Lives stuff - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

killyourpetpuppy/Zig Zag magazine - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I don't recall Punk Lives, but I've got a collection of old Zigzags, from the early 70s to 84 (although there are less 80s ones than 70s!)

I used to get them from a paper shop on Belmont St where the chipper is opposite Drummonds (where I also got Oz, International Times, Fapto and the occasional Seven Days or Rolling Stone).

I don't recall Punk Lives, but I've got a collection of old Zigzags, from the early 70s to 84 (although there are less 80s ones than 70s!)

While I think Zig Zag featured more traditional acts during its early phase, from 1983 and under the editorship of Mick Mercer, it became much more goth friendly. Purchased the mag fairly regularly. Much missed.

Punk Lives was, unlike punk zines of the time and since, available through mainsteam outlets and could be purchased from newsagents.

While I think Zig Zag featured more traditional acts during its early phase, from 1983 and under the editorship of Mick Mercer, it became much more goth friendly. Purchased the mag fairly regularly. Much missed.

I wasn't aware of either magazine, but know of Mick Mercer quite well - Have seen several of his books on the goth scene, and our humble Elizium was featured in one of them too! Will have to check which one it is (I don't own a copy, unfortunately).

I suppose the only decent modern alternative I can think of is Nemesis To Go, written by long-term (and well respected) promoter Uncle Nemesis. His 'zine is an online affair, but you can get it from - Nemesis To Go - Front page

It's well worth a read :)

I wasn't aware of either magazine, but know of Mick Mercer quite well - Have seen several of his books on the goth scene, and our humble Elizium was featured in one of them too! Will have to check which one it is (I don't own a copy, unfortunately).

I suppose the only decent modern alternative I can think of is Nemesis To Go, written by long-term (and well respected) promoter Uncle Nemesis. His 'zine is an online affair, but you can get it from - Nemesis To Go - Front page

It's well worth a read :)

Elizium featured in Mick's 21st Century Goth no? Had previously purchased his Gothic Rock tome too.

And if folks would like to find out more about these and more, then do check out the man's web page here: www.mickmercer.com

Hey thanks for the information regarding Nemesis To Go. Had not come across it before, but will definitely check it out. Thanks.

Elizium featured in Mick's 21st Century Goth no? Had previously purchased his Gothic Rock tome too.

And if folks would like to find out more about these and more, then do check out the man's web page here: www.mickmercer.com

Hey thanks for the information regarding Nemesis To Go. Had not come across it before, but will definitely check it out. Thanks.

Yeah! That's the one. Admittedly not a very big peice, but we hadn't actively sought out to be included and didn't honestly think we were known outside of Aberdeen. It was a great wee surprise.

Cheers also for the ZigZag and Punk Lives links, I've been trawling them this morning!

Cheers also for the ZigZag and Punk Lives links, I've been trawling them this morning!

Cool. One other publication you may also may wanna check out is Deathrock magazine. The second ish has just hit the streets and has pieces on Specimen, Alien Sex Fiend, and more. For more information and on how to obtain a copy, visit MySpace.com - Deathrock Magazine - 99 - Male - NEW YORK, New York - www.myspace.com/deathrockmagazine

Oh and Drop Dead magazine is a worthy purchase too. Check it out here: Drop Dead Magazine

Cool. One other publication you may also may wanna check out is Deathrock magazine. The second ish has just hit the streets and has pieces on Specimen, Alien Sex Fiend, and more. For more information and on how to obtain a copy, visit MySpace.com - Deathrock Magazine - 99 - Male - NEW YORK, New York - www.myspace.com/deathrockmagazine

Oh and Drop Dead magazine is a worthy purchase too. Check it out here: Drop Dead Magazine

Sweet - Again, didn't know of either of those. Deathrock looks especially interesting, will have to get my hands on a copy and see if it's worth subscribing.

I bought two Zig Zag mags (circa 1979) because they each had a part of a (John Foxx era) Ultravox interview in them. Probably still got them somewhere. I bought them in Happy Trails, if anyone can remember that jeans/clogs/badges/record shop, opposite the Central Library (ish).