aberdeen-music

I got my JCM2000 DSL50 serviced by Marshall

Rob Karloff

After R&B repaired a blown output transformer in the head, it lasted 8 gigs before checking out again. Annoyed, and pissed at R&B's attitude and lack of helpfulness, I had them send it to Marshall, and wrote Marshall a nasty letter about the whole business. They ended up calling me about the amp direct, and repaired the transformer again. Not only that, but they also replaced ALL the valves in the thing, and put it on soak test for a week with the radio as an input signal. AND, they did it for FREE, because they sympathised with the problems I'd had, and were genuinely concerned that I had lost faith in their amps. I now have a reliable amp, which sounds louder and much more raw than it used to, and I'm a happy bunny.

So, my advice is, if you have a Marshall that needs looking at, phone them up and ask for their service department. They'll happily speak to you and hazard a guess at the cost of the repair or service, plus they will arrange a courier to pick up the amp from your work or home direct, and then put it back to you.

Originally posted by Rob Karloff

After R&B repaired a blown output transformer in the head, it lasted 8 gigs before checking out again. Annoyed, and pissed at R&B's attitude and lack of helpfulness, I had them send it to Marshall, and wrote Marshall a nasty letter about the whole business. They ended up calling me about the amp direct, and repaired the transformer again. Not only that, but they also replaced ALL the valves in the thing, and put it on soak test for a week with the radio as an input signal. AND, they did it for FREE, because they sympathised with the problems I'd had, and were genuinely concerned that I had lost faith in their amps. I now have a reliable amp, which sounds louder and much more raw than it used to, and I'm a happy bunny.

So, my advice is, if you have a Marshall that needs looking at, phone them up and ask for their service department. They'll happily speak to you and hazard a guess at the cost of the repair or service, plus they will arrange a courier to pick up the amp from your work or home direct, and then put it back to you.

I've never taken my amp to R&B but i could have told you that they would be shit.

I send my amps to a guy near Invergordon/Tain. He knows his shit and he's dirt cheap as well.

And yup, the Marshall dudes are the shit! :D

i have heard many things about marshall having an excellent after sales service, you have just added another happy customer to their list

i know of someone who had a similar problem to you, had a problem, get it repaired locally, it screwed up again pretty soon after so he went to the marshall factory (happened to live close by) they took it in and repaired it for him no questions asked and even loaned him another head to use while they were fixing up his one

at the moment im thinking whether i am wanting to try and save up for an Ashdown fallen angel (40watt combo) or a Marshall jcm2000 (40 watt dsl combo) the marshalls are supposed to have some relaibility issues, but im hearing lots of good things about them fixing any broken amps and generally being excellent chaps

the other question is do i want marshall type crunchy gain (also possible to some degree with a marshall dist pedal), or the ashdowns metal gain (which i havent found a good pedal for yet)

David

I had the DSL201, worked fine for me. Occasionally blew a fuse but i did run it pretty hard.

Sold it to my flatmate and about two years (from original purpose) it crapped out on him and he had to have the whole thing re-soldered, for 30. I've heard about this happenning quite a lot on these amps, often sooner than two years. But it didn't cause me any problems regularly gigging with it.

Dunno what you want to take from that but...

Craig

• 4 weeks later...
Guest central scrutinizer

Interesting piece of marshall trivia for you all. Jim marshall had an affair with his son's wife after his own wife past away, went on to marry his son's wife, so now his grandchildren are his step daughter and step son. thats pretty screwed up.