aberdeen-music

30lbs Of Bone + Mary Hampton + Birdengine + The RG Morrison @ The Tunnels, Thur28Feb

Interesting Music Promotions and Vocoustics are extremely pleased to present a quadruple bill of underground folk from Devon's Drift Records stable.

Thirty Pounds Of Bone + Mary Hampton + Birdengine + The RG Morrison

Thursday 28th February

The Tunnels

5 from 8pm

Drift3_400.jpg

THE DRIFT COLLECTIVE

Drift Records :: Get involved, it's better

Originating in Devon, The Drift Collective are a group of "like-minded musicians who have emerged blinky-eyed from the hedgerows, and now all support each other recording a variety of modern folk that proudly follows its own directions and inclinations without caring a fig what the mainstream might suggest".

Drift Records have assembled a strong roster that manages to embrace the past while retaining an ironic distance, forging new paths out of the acoustic tradition. Is This Music?

"The Drift Family provide a near-miraculous glimmer of frail, reflective humanity in a bullshit-filled world" - The Word

"Inventive, imaginative and different; long may they collect together" - Record Collector

As gorgeous as it is quirky - Observer Music Monthly

"Fantastic" - Time Out

"Smart" - The Observer

"Gently eccentric" - Mojo

THIRTY POUNDS OF BONE - www.myspace.com/ thirtypoundsofbone

"There is much to savour on this accomplished collection of plaintive laments, of which the title track and drone like uyeasound are exceptional." Q Magazine.

Proudly different, it has the side-ranging ambition and talent to appeal far more than only folk fans alone." Record Collector

The songs interlink via juxtapositions that create a wonderfully morbid and equally petrifying narrative." PlanB

it's clear that this album isn't going to fit the clichs of many of the recent 'weird folk' trends. The Word

"Thirty Pounds of Bone is one man johny lamb standard bearer for all things lo-fi in this shiny, chrome-plated 21st century." FLAVOURPILL

MARY HAMPTON - www.myspace.com/ maryhampton

"A stately clarity" The Times

"A woman who appears to have spent much of her life attempting to imitate the shimmer of wind-chimes. The effect is mesmerizing..." The Guardian

"Spine-thrilling attic folk" - Time Out London

BIRDENGINE - www.myspace.com/ birdengine

There's not likely to be a more arresting opening couplet to an album this year - The Independent

It's a very beautiful record. The Word

A strange and compelling beauty. Maverick

Leonard Cohen in a Thomas Hardy Novel - subba-cultcha.com

THE R.G.MORRISON - www.myspace.com/ thergmorrison

"Raw and vital" - Wire Magazine

"It's the overall sincerity and confidence that make it a worthy listen." - FutureMusic Magazine

"It's a long player that alludes to an obscure oxymoron - both depressing and rousing. A clever album with longevity" - Notion Magazine

"It takes puritan blisters and serious self-control to maintain this sort of melodic hush." - Pitchforkmedia

:up:

• 4 weeks later...

...and look! here's a review of their 'collective' album - also from itm?

Is this Music?

The Drift Collective is a compilation that presents such a consistent tone and quality that it appears to be the work of a single artist. From Mary Hamptons vocal extravaganza Eros to RG Morrisons spooky parlour piano on In Meadows, this album evinces a fascination with subdued spaces between folk, electronica and old-fashioned popular song.

Hampton and Morrison provide the stand-out tracks, comfortably adapting acoustic instruments and discreet accompaniment to a direct and emotional song-craft that evokes the early twentieth century. Matt Eaton and Monk Jack Deer provide cheerier fare, rambling along with banjos to a jaunty beat, but the faded, sepia-tinted tone fixes the melancholy in the opening track , I, Dancing Bear by Birdengine. Aside from the occasional lapse into the twee, The Drift Collective has the disturbing resonance of an undiscovered British folk tradition.

Despite the labels acceptance of the fictional folktronica tag- electronic folk music will be more than a few glitches and cracks atop an acoustic guitar- Drift Records have assembled a strong roster that manages to embrace the past while retaining an ironic distance, forging new paths out of the acoustic tradition. - Gareth Vile

Guest idol_wild

I thought all three acts were massively talented and I thoroughly enjoyed their performances. I am so envious of people who can sing, and by God they all could.

Thirty Pounds Of Bone was the particular highlight for me; simple songs, executed with dreamy beauty.

Mary Hampton was so engaging that I don't think I took my eyes off her once.

The RG Morrison was a delight, I really appreciated his guitar style.

My only regret? That I couldn't afford to buy of the albums that were on sale.

Sigh.

• 3 weeks later...