aberdeen-music

Moorings Sat 15th May Feedback

egyptiandays

Hello, I thought Saturday was an excellent night with a great mix of bands and styles. I was interested to hear what everyone else thought of the night and their opinions on the bands. I am also interested to hear some constructive opinions/criticisms on Arctik, which is the band I play in. We just started out, so all opinions/views would be appreciated.

I especially enjoyed The Works for their raw, to the point sound and The Void who clearly know how to put a show on with style. The party poper moment was classic!

Cheers.

Arctik was interesting, tight and very sad sounding :) - in a good way.

I found it a really good, gripping listen - your voice is undebatably great, though it got a bit tedious towards the end... but then so do we.

The keyboard, piano idea was cool / atmospheric, but I couldn't thinking how much cooler it would be if he was to play more in the way of melodys and little solo parts, but maybe thats not your style.

Arctik rocked!!! Well, actually, they didn't 'rock' at all, but they did something just as good. Extremely impressive for a first gig. They must have been practising for quite a while. Only one or two small criticisms.

-One of your songs kinda ripped off the Sigur Rs song that was doing the rounds on MTV2 a while ago. However, I can hardly blame you, as that is one of the best chord progressions I've heard in recent times.

-Biggest problem was that your songs dragged a little bit, because there wasn't quite enough variation from part to part. You often just repeated the same thing for ages, without changing. This works as background music (a lot of the music I listen to at home is very repetitive), but for a live band, you need more to interest hte audience.

Don't htink I'm being negative htough, that's jsut the best constructive criticism I could come up with. I was really impressed with you guys, and will definitely come see you again, if you announce your gigs on here somewhere, as I really enjoy the music that you guys play.

.....Oh, one more thing. Next time, please set up the piano so that I can see your pianist playing. I was quite upset that he was behind a wall the whole time.

Looking forward to your next gig!

It was me that positioned the piano behind the wall. I though it might be staying on stage all night and I wanted to make space for everyone else. If I'd realised that it was coming off stage then I'd have had it facing front. We'll know better next time. Oops.

I though all the bands were great, and it was a really good mix. Arctik played phenominally well for their first gig and I think you are onto something.

A word of appology from the venue. We have been having problems with stage left monitor (RHS viewed from FOH) it's been sounding quiet. We tried wiggling the lead, swapping the lead, swapping the wedge but it still sounded quiet... problem hadbeen ongoing for 3 weeks :O.

On Sunday I noticed that it's meter was about 10dB down compared with the other monitors. A good bit of probing the intricacies of the desk revealed that the attenuator on that channel had been accidentally set to -10dB... probably by me. So no fuckin wonder it sounded quiet.

We did an accoustical analyses of the room on Monday because there are some frequency hotspots that we've been struggling to control. It turns out that the bass bins were resonating through the floor and through the panel between them on the stage front. We've fixed all this wil bracing and neoprene. The difference is -36dB on the bass frequencies. We managed to control this OK on the night but in future the bottom end will sound tighter. There is also similar problem with the stage panels beneath the low mids and we'll sort that out as soon as we get more neoporene. All this should help with feedback, tighness and overall volume control.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for a great night.