aberdeen-music

new Chumbawamba full length comin' your way Feb.

David Insurrection

I saw them at the Lemon Tree in 93....sometimes I really enjoy them, sometimes it passes me by. I particularly liked 'Readymades', but I know a lot of folk didn't think so much of it.

Readymades is a fine album indeed.

Ah the Aberdeen show. Then living in London, friends did catch that same show and were thrilled by what they saw.

Whilst I'd been digging these folks since their debut 7" Revolution in '85, plus their first two full lengths still stand I think as two of the most important and exciting albums ever committed to tape, their jump to a major did not sit well with me. However opinions change, and was so glad to hear what the band has done since.

And from Readymades check out the excellent Sewing Up Crap on YouTube. YouTube - Sewing Up Crap

Regarding the incident at the 1998 Brit Awards ceremony, the deputy Prime Minister was drenched in protest of the Labour Party's unwillingness to support striking Liverpool dockers - 500 had been sacked in a dispute regarding the introduction of unfair working practices across the docks. A statement by the band the next day stated: "If John Prescott, as a representative of the government, has the nerve to turn up at events such as the Brit awards in a vain attempt to make Labour seem cool and trendy, then he deserves all we can throw at him."

The above said to the face of irate burly man? thought not. Prescott was merely ligging, in the full knowledge that nothing a professional politician can do will even make them look human, let alone 'trendy'. He is more of a class warrior than these Tarquins anyway.

Upon soaking Prescott, Danbert Nobacon exclaimed "That's for the Liverpool dockers". Besides any real and more meaningful exchange would have proven all but impossible. He'd just thrown a bucketful of water over the man after all.

And Prescott a class warrior? Now you're just being silly. Throughout their career the band have time and time again demonstrated their strong commitment to the struggle and to their politics which is more than can be said of Prescott and his kind.

• 2 months later...