aberdeen-music

Football Manager 2007 - Help wanted!

Lemonade

Alright sports-fans, 2 questions regarding the wonderful FM2007.

1 - I installed the 7.0.2 patch last night - does this incorporate the 7.0.1 patch - do I need to run both or does the 7.0.2 include all the repairs made by the first patch as well?

2 - Does anybody else have that annoying problem where after 3 seasons all the player and manager histories in the game erase, and every player is shown as having signed for some obscure team in Asia and not playing a gme for three seasons? And for each subsequent season the season that just passed is erased from history, therefore every player in your team is a new signing and there's no player history since 2006. Does the 7.0.2 patch fix this problem? Cos it's ruining the game for me - if I have to start a new game and cancel the one I'm doing really well in, then it happens again I'm going to be fucked right off.

Guest idol_wild

7.02 incorporates 7.01, so you only need to run 7.02.

And I always played 7.02 and never had a single problem with player histories vanishing, so I'm pretty sure that will have just been a bug in 7.00.

Get playing and let us know how you get on!

i was playing my villa career on 07 when I was back at the folks at the weekend

what a team I have, won the european cup, the premier league, fa cup in one season

my squad has the likes of daniel alves, carvalho, ricardo, poulsen, arteta, tevez, owen, pure laying it on thick

i prefer it to 08, but that will change when I get a new computer

I have been reading the SI forums, apparently it's a fairly common problem caused by the Temporary files becoming corrupt, either caused by starting the FM07 program when you already have it running, or by an anti-virus blocking it from saving it's temporary files on the hard drive properly. The 7.0.2 patch stops the duplicate running error but won't stop the anti-virus thing. I uninstalled the whole game yesterday and re-installed it just to be sure, then updated it with the patch. Annoyingly had to erase my game in which I'm doing brilliant with Spurs and just won the World Cup with Denmark and had to start a new game, playing as Celtic and I'm getting humped every week.

Before my re-install my record was:

2 seasons at Celtic - 2 leagues and 2 scottish cups

then moved to Parma midway thru season 3, who were bottom of Serie A, I finished 10th with no money and a shite squad.

started season 4 with Parma and was in the top 3 when Spurs came a knocking.

Took over Spurs in December who were 18th in the Prem, they gave me 20million to spend! I finshed 7th and won the UEFA cup.

Also in the summer i led Denmark to a stunning world cup victory (beat England in the final 5-4 in Extra time)

Into season 5 I was in December and was top of the Prem when I reinstalled. It was fun but as I said above, there were no player histories, competition histories etc. and all my results had been purged, which ruined the game.

Guest idol_wild

FM 08 is much harder in comparison to FM 07. I assumed the match engine would be quite similar, but it's really not. My trusted flat 4-4-2 just doesn't have the same impact in the new version because the percentage of headers any one player can win has almost halved. I always played off a tall target man with good heading, jumping, strength, and anticipation. But despite having all these stats, no player wins enough headers to base a tactic around. My target men in 07 would often win something like 35 out of 40 headers in any given match. Now it can sometimes be 3 of 19!

But hey, it's a challenge to form a new system!

FM 08 is much harder in comparison to FM 07. I assumed the match engine would be quite similar, but it's really not. My trusted flat 4-4-2 just doesn't have the same impact in the new version because the percentage of headers any one player can win has almost halved. I always played off a tall target man with good heading, jumping, strength, and anticipation. But despite having all these stats, no player wins enough headers to base a tactic around. My target men in 07 would often win something like 35 out of 40 headers in any given match. Now it can sometimes be 3 of 19!

But hey, it's a challenge to form a new system!

Almost exactly the same here... I played a 4-4-2 in the last game with a fast striker playing off a tall target man. In one season for Newcastle Oba Martins and Steffen Iversen (absolutely IMMENSE in '07!) scored about 60 between them, it was nuts. Always used to set the target man for "Near Post Flick-on" at corners which was an easy way to get 7 or 8 goals a season.

Unfortunately neither of these seem to work on '08, but that's cool, means you have to adapt which is a good challenge. I played a season with Derby, playing my 4-4-2 target man tactic through 'til Christmas, ended up hovering around 19th. Switched to a far more adventurous 4-2-1-3 with a good finisher on the left (Andy Cole, hero!) a physically good all-rounder in the middle (Carlton Cole/Marlon King) and a lanky beast on the right (Steve Howard). Worked wonders, ended up finishing 14th with the central striker & attacking midfielder scoring loads.