aberdeen-music

Big Halls?

jcn

Hey folks

I am a member of the Uni Choral Society, and we usually rehearse at the Mitchell Hall in Marischal College. As I'm sure you all know, the building will be handed over to Aberdeen Council soon, and there is doubt over whether or not the society will be able to rehearse there anymore.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a similar venue/town hall/millionaire's games room where we could rehearse? The choir is kinda big, around 150 members, and there would have to be enough room for seats and a place for us to make some tea and coffee :-) Geography is also an issue, we need it to be kinda near the centre of town, so that it will be relatively easy for everyone to get to it.

Cheers

Jayne

Schools let local groups use their halls out of hours, you could enquire there. RGC's macrobert hall is pretty central for example.

Does Aberdeen Uni not have another hall you can use? In fact aren't they keeping Mitchell Hall so they can use it for graduations? Sure I read that when the plan was announced.

I think Mitchell Hall will be kept for graduations, but it may be that is the only thing that will be allowed. There is Elphinstone Hall, but it is used for a lot of different groups and would be difficult to set up with seating. Also, I think location isn't ideal. Cowdray Hall might be worth a shout, will look into it, thanks. Bummer, new income stream could have been given to the LT, dammit.

Pretty certain the Mitchell Hall, Debater, Museum & Court Rooms, plus ancillary facilities are being retained by the Uni. With shared access to the Mitchell Hall for some city purposes. The Court rooms have to be retained as well because the act of Parliament governing the merged institution requires certain Uni functions to be performed there. The Uni would cease to exist without them.

Inevitable really.

What about the Chapel itself, they hire it out for (alumni) weddings, obviously there are heritage conservation issues, but I'm sure I heard of choral/classical events put on, its even more historical than the Mitchell.

I am sure that the Uni will retain control of the Mitchell, but maybe there will be noise restrictions to avoid any disturbance to the somnambulent councillors. They need a fucking wakening anyway.