aberdeen-music

Electronic Music

Guest Bob

I was thinking about this today (I can't remember why) and I suddenly realised that I didn't know what was happening on the cutting edge of software sequencing and home-recording.

What advancements in electronic music are currently being made? And what advice would you offer to someone especially interested in recording and creating electronic music at home?

Thanks.

I jsut got a Korg Pandora personal effects processor and as well as really useful stuff there are a lot of crazy synth models...this has led me to start recording synth/electronic style music on my PC for fun...starfall better watch their backs as Orgasmic Stretch are on their way.

i know shitloads about it

but i cant be fucked to explain the whole thing in non specifics cos it would take ages and my information is generally unreliable

but compoota sequencing and recording etc has recently come of age in my opinion....it used to be too expensive and totally unreliable resulting in malevolant violence towards PCs from anyone who tried it

theres a couple of good mags to read that will help you get into le subject

Computor Music, Future Music and Sound on Sound.....all in WH Smiths

they cost about a fiver each so i recommend you slip em inside and NME and and nick em or just stand in the shop for 3 hours reading them all like I do. I even take a notebook sometimes for reference notes/websites etc

It seems complicated to start with but with a bit of research its piss easy

AVOID PC WORLD COMET AND DIXONS

Guest Ibid

Whilst computing sequencing has come on in leaps and bounds with the surge in power, you still cannot beat a dedicated hardware sequencer. The still undisputed king of the hard sequencers is the Yamaha QY700. for sheer power, sound and versalilty it's still the tops, although roland comes close these days with it's discover5 series.

I know all you insular types have a irrational contempt for bands who do covers and actually make money, but check out BedHead, the busiest duo in Scotand, who use a QY700 live. I had them at my daughter's wedding and ifyou closed your eyes, they sounded like a 7 piece band. The only thing a QY700 doesn't do brilliantly (and no sequencer does) is overdriven and distorted guitar. But play guitar and you've no problem.

Guest Neubeatz
what advice would you offer to someone especially interested in recording and creating electronic music at home?

Clean the head on the dictaphone......

Its all about computers for me. I could say all the kit and specifics used but I will just big up Logic 5(.1.something), the last PC version before emagic was bought by apple. My computer never liked cubase (VST 3.5) but even its ageing self can run quite a few audio and VST tracks at a time on logic. Get a new G5 and Logic 6 if your loaded. M-Audio Delta series soundcards are also the business