aberdeen-music

Puerto Muerto & Desc - Mon 17th May 04

chilli

Guest Satyam Shivam Sundaram

No the Richard Thompson gig is on Tuesday 18th!

Puerto Muerto were indeed ace at the Lemon Tree and real nice people as well. Quite amazing what you can do with a voice, guitar and a floor tom! We played with them the following night in Glasgow where they were equally as good as the Lemon Tree gig.

Originally posted by Graeme:

We plan these things carefully you know! We want to see Richard Thompson as well and I, at least, am very keen to check what Jim Moray (support) is doing.

You crafty sods!

Originally posted by Alan Cynic:

Ok....deal me in!!

Mr Green....you're not perchance going to Drakes tonight are you? I've a couple of CDs to give you.

I wasn't planning on doing so... CD's of whom?

Carol Grimes & Delivery, plus one by Tonton Macoute which I think you'll enjoy. I'll maybe see you at the next Open-mike then.

Wow, thanks...

band details

Purto Muerto

Fucked-up alt.country, which cuts Kurt Weill with Tom Waits

and the Handsome Family, mixing mazurkas with sea shanties,

polskas with noir-ish, cinematic sweeps and Spanish folk with

post punky fury as it goes. Marvelous, mad and mordacious stuff.

See them live a totally fantastic experience.

Desc

Formerly known as Khaya, who recorded three albums records and

recorded two sessions for John Peel. Out of theses ashes, Desc have formed

& are inspired by many things but to put their songs into context they have

been said to sound like an acoustic Sonic Youth or Ennio Morricone on speed.

Yep I shall be in attendance for my shot of alt country as I remember them playing at the Ltree as well. I think it'll work well with the intimate nature of Drakes.

I seem to remember having a Khaya track somewhere on a compilation of Edinburgh labels or something ? Must have a dig for that.

Dave

PS just realised that this gig was not on the last Int Music flyer I got

The Thomas Truax night is still being discussed in awe by those present, and I reckon Puerto Muerto will get the same reaction from the audience at Drakes. When the female singer was belting out that red wine song, and bashing seven shades of shite from her floor tom I was in ecstascy.

Originally posted by ragudave:

just realised that this gig was not on the last Int Music flyer I got

yes thats right, just like the Thomas Truax event this is a late booking, weve

decided just to put this gig out by word of mouth. Believe the hype from those that

saw Puerto Muerto last time, thet were pretty damn fantastic, believe the description I

put out for them above.

They are a very SPECIAL live act, come see.

The Thomas Truax night is still being discussed in awe by those present, and I reckon Puerto Muerto will get the same reaction from the audience at Drakes. When the female singer was belting out that red wine song, and bashing seven shades of shite from her floor tom I was in ecstascy.

my money is on her doing herself a mischief on the ceiling during San Pedro

might be worth pointing out they had a tune on the soundtrack of the recent Dawn of the Dead remake too, just in case people heard them but didn't know who it was ...

No...I couldn't find it either....just a site under construction. Still, the real thing will be here very soon!

Thanks for the info ghost here's more info on PM, just amazing........

Puerto Muerto was formed in early 1999 by Tim Kelly and Christa Meyer. In its earliest incarnation, they were known as Johnny Deformed. People violently opposed the name, throwing their bodies at the feet of the two members, begging them not to use Johnny Deformed any longer.

As the pair traveled, they wrote and performed for anyone that would have them. Eventually, they decided to be called Puerto Muerto, after an imaginary bar in Tim's mind. The duo moved to Chicago in the fall of 1999 to make friends and play music for appreciative throngs of people. The have many influences, including such artists as THE KINKS, CHARLES MINGUS, KURT WEILL, THE CLASH, and so on. People have compared their music to LEONARD COHEN, THE MEKONS and EDITH PIAF. They live with a dog named Lenya. She is developmentally disabled.

Puerto Muerto has been picked up by Fire Records of London which has released Elena, Your Bloated Corpse Has Washed Ashore and a new one called See You In Hell (which has an amazing looking cover).

I also thought it was damned sexy music....in a warped, sado-masochistic kind of way. (Not that I know anything about these kind of things).?(

I know what you mean, the sexiness is similar in many ways to Arabic/North African music which oozes sex, but I must say, not in a sado................way. I think you are talking about the sexiness with reference to the brutality of lyrical content, very similar to say Marc Almond/Soft Cell, Nick Cave, The Dirty Three, Cat Power etc whoose output is always dark, brooding & full of sexiness.

Most westernised music I think by and large misses this.

Alan,

U are very perceptive & correct, Puerto Muerto are a very special & different band

from what audiences normally see in Aberdeen. We were warned Thomas Truax's live shows were very good, but not as extraordinary as it turned out. At least this time we have band we know are a live spectical & everyone with an open mind & some spare cash should attend...........

Believe the hype