aberdeen-music

is it worth paying a lot more for valves?

Guest lime

at one website these are the costs of a pair of various EL34's.

Ruby EL34A Power Tubes - CHINA 29.96

Ruby EL34 Power Tubes - CZECH 35.95

.....this is the big question

Ruby EL34 Power Tubes (PAIR) - SVETLANA 49.96

apparently "The Svetlana EL34 is a glass envelope power pentode having a plate dissipation rating of 25 Watts with convection cooling. Close manufacturing specification tolerances and improved processing provides enhanced reliability and superior sonic performance. The high sensitivity of a pair or quad of Svetlana EL34's is an economical method to achieve high quality sound with a minimum of driving stage components."

but is it really worth the price?

Yeah, getting better valves does make a difference.

I run those Sveltanas in my Marshall, previously having the Ruby Tubes and they are better.

However you can get them cheaper from:

www.watfordvalves.com

They have almost every type of valve you could imagine and long test reports telling you the differences between them all.

I've bought valves from them a few times and they deliver quickly and the valves are always working fine, not broken or anything.

Here's an example of the prices:

Sveltana EL34 (dual or quad matched) 10.64 each (you have to add VAT to that so probably about 12 I think). That's way cheaper than the prices quoted above. They also have lots special offers and have a different type of Sveltana called the EL34R for 8.51 each.

There you go.

The Chinese valves should be avoided at all costs. Watford won't even supply them. They reputedly have a less than perfect vacuum in the valves, and are thus more likely to fail.

If you're thinking of replacing your valves, make sure you know what you need and how to do it. As well as buying a matched set for your amp, you'll also need to make sure that the valves are then properly biased once installed in the amp. This basically means that the current through the valves is correct for the amp and is the same for each valve. Marshalls have a trim pot for achieving this, while Mesa Boogies usually require the changing of a few resistors to do the same. If you have a Mesa, it's worthwhile replacing the resistors with a trim pot, a la Marshall.