aberdeen-music

WMP 11/General MP3 assistance seeked...

Rass

ok, so i upgraded to WMP11 after i read about it in the other thread about it. And yeah it is quite good, but i'm having a hoor of bother with playing somethings (by somethings i mean about 90% of my music). Certain files which may or may not of come from other sources, i guess i understand, but even most the stuff which i ripped off the CD myself on this computer is coming up with 'unable to play file'. So after refusing to listen to microsoft i finally hit the 'web help'. Most the troubleshooting was 'you dont have a sound card', 'your sound card doesnt work', which is evidently wrong as some files do work.

the only thing i found that could be relevant was as follows:

You are trying to play an MP3 file that contains compressed ID3 headers. The ID3 header is a portion of the file that stores the song's album information (for example, the song name, artist name, album name, and genre). This information is sometimes called a "tag."

To fix the problem, make a copy of the file and then use a non-Microsoft ID3 tag editing program to remove or reset the file's ID3 headers. After you remove the ID3 headers, Windows Media Player should be able to play the MP3 file.

Attempting to remove ID3 headers might damage the file and make it unplayable. Therefore, always make a copy of the file before you edit it.

If this solution does not resolve the problem, the file might be corrupted.

That's all a bit over my head. Tho i should add alot of the files arent MP3, they're WMA, so i dont know if this advice is applicable. What would be suggested as an ID3 tag editing program? And what is a ID3 tag editing program? Also is this method going to involve going through every file individually? As i seriously don't know if i can be cocked with that.

*grumble*

How did i know that was going to be the solution. I always preferred WMP until this version, it looks nice but seems to be buggier than an anthill.

I would of used Winamp years ago but i dont think it supported wma's at the time. I assume it does now? i might investigate it, dont think i've ever even opened the library tab on it. Just gutted its taken so long to catagorise all my music around media player and how it works and have everything where i want it so its easily found and now im going to have to start from scratch with Winamp.

*grumble again*

Cheers tho!