aberdeen-music

Speeding up

britheguy

Being a old geezer, I put together a tape for the car. I put some ska on it and was enjoying the drive. However, Night Boat to Cairo came on, and I thought I noticed the intro speeding up. Now for those of you that know me I am not known for my tempo skills (human metronome I'm not). Has anyone noticed this, do you think it's supposed to do it? It's mostly the guitar chop that seems to do it.

Another thing I noticed lately. just after the intro to 'down at the tubestation' by the jam. There's something funny going on with the bass intro. What is that supposed to be???

It drives me mad!

Being a old geezer, I put together a tape for the car. I put some ska on it and was enjoying the drive. However, Night Boat to Cairo came on, and I thought I noticed the intro speeding up. Now for those of you that know me I am not known for my tempo skills (human metronome I'm not). Has anyone noticed this, do you think it's supposed to do it? It's mostly the guitar chop that seems to do it.

I don't think the overall tempo changes, but the guitar chops are played just minutely ahead of the beat. It's a technique often used to give a feel of energy, just like playing slightly behind the beat gives a song a relaxed chilled out feel. Madness were so tight, they were masters of playing about with the timings but staying solidly together.

Another thing I noticed lately. just after the intro to 'down at the tubestation' by the jam. There's something funny going on with the bass intro. What is that supposed to be???

It drives me mad!

If you mean the bit just where Weller starts singing, it's probably the harmonics you're hearing. Foxton plays the bass riff a few times as an intro, then when the first verse kicks in he hits harmonics on the 12th fret, top three strings.

I don't think the overall tempo changes, but the guitar chops are played just minutely ahead of the beat. It's a technique often used to give a feel of energy, just like playing slightly behind the beat gives a song a relaxed chilled out feel. Madness were so tight, they were masters of playing about with the timings but staying solidly together.

If you mean the bit just where Weller starts singing, it's probably the harmonics you're hearing. Foxton plays the bass riff a few times as an intro, then when the first verse kicks in he hits harmonics on the 12th fret, top three strings.

Okay cheers Frosty. It just sounded that way to me. It's lucky I heard the beat in the first place.

If its worse than what frosty said then it could be the tape heads in your car's tape deck or the tape itself slipping on the reel.

I'm not familiar with the song though. I hate Paul Weller

It's a quailty 36 quid tape deck, so I think you are a bit off the mark saying it's the tape mate.

Hate is a strong word and should not be used about another person. However, I can see where you are coming from about PW. But early Jam is the mutts nuts!:up: