aberdeen-music

Cubase PC project to Logic on a mac. Please help!

Runcie

We recently recorded some stuff at Musical Vision, who run Cubase SX on a PC. I was wondering if anyone knows of an easy way to get the project onto my Mac with logic, other than to import in each audio track bit by bit and try to rearrange them. Please help cos I need to send this stuff down to London asap to try and get into the ACM. Cheers.

We recently recorded some stuff at Musical Vision, who run Cubase SX on a PC. I was wondering if anyone knows of an easy way to get the project onto my Mac with logic, other than to import in each audio track bit by bit and try to rearrange them. Please help cos I need to send this stuff down to London asap to try and get into the ACM. Cheers.

Not gonna happen, just start from scratch in logic with the raw audio tracks.

Have them export the session as an OMF file, I'm pretty sure Logic can import OMF...

I doubt it somehow!

I have to admitt that I know nothing about Logic, but the only format that is guaranteed to be compatible to all DAWs is WAV. Older Logics and CuBase do not read broadcast WAV (i.e. time-stamped) so as the man said above, get them to provide you with the whole project as a series of WAV files that start and finish at the same time. If the sound files are not all starting and finnishing at the same time, just ask them to mark in and mark out the whole song at one time and click on the 'fill-silence' option.

ALWAYS get a studio to hand over your project as a series of WAV files on a DVD-R.

Here are some guide lines that I have taken from our website, on the subject of importing and exporting audio files:

1. All files as broadcast WAV or WAV files. These are the only formats that are universal to ALL hard-disk recorders.

2. DVD-R only.

3. ISO 9660 only (i.e. NOT 9660 + Joliet or 9660 : 1999) with ISO character set Standard and file name length at Level 1. Apples and PC burn software often defaults to 9660+ Joliet, which makes the file incompatible with most dedicated hard-disk recorders, so watch out for this one!

4. Burn speed x 4 max.

5. Each song in its own folder

6. Each track with a very short (never more than eight characters) title. So the kick drum can be K, the toms can be T1 T2 T3 and so on, snare top and bottom can be ST and SB, bass can just be B or BG and lead guitar is then just LG. There is never any need to write the title of the song onto each track title. Some transfer software programmes and some older DAWs just dump all letters after the eighth character, so going beyond eight characters can result in information getting lost. It is important that these titles are uniform, so the bass drum should have the same title or prefix for all songs.