aberdeen-music

Bloody DVLA

JaseyBoi

So i sent away for my provisional 5 weeks ago but the thing is my catch22 situation has dragged it out that on monday itll be 6weeks..Heres my dilemma

I dont have a passport so i had to get a proffesional person to sign the back of my photo and state there occupation and that they have known me for 8 years....When i get my provisional i can then send that away to get my passport.....

I got my provisional forms back 3 weeks ago stating that due to an influx in the EU they no longer just accept birth certificates and signed by proffesional persons they now need 6 items of ID.....National insurance card.....P60...birth cerificate......3 pay slips.....my rent book or morgage agreement...(all because i dont have a passport).....I mean WTF am i a babboon?. As it states on the form only a birth certificate and signature from a 3rd party is enough on the damn forms...........

On wednesday of this week i get all my ID back and a brief note telling me my license will be with me shortly........then on thursday i get an envelope from the dvla which i rush into the living room all excited rip it open thinking its my provisional only to find another brief note telling me "thank you for applying you license is at the next stage"......Everyone ive spoke to has told me this isnt right as this did not happen to them......Surely the dvla dont know me personaly and CANT know im a prick in real life......But this is ridiculous.....

take the megabus down to glasgow, the passport office is right beside the bus terminus, take 3 forms of ID - bill, birth certificate, rent agreement and you can get the passport the same day or within a week

take the megabus down to glasgow, the passport office is right beside the bus terminus, take 3 forms of ID - bill, birth certificate, rent agreement and you can get the passport the same day or within a week

And you'll pay over 100 for the pleasure. They also don't offer same day to people wanting a first time passport.

Your provisional licence will not be any use for getting a passport - the passport agency requires (basically) your birth certificate, your mothers birth certificate and the photos signed by a professional person.

well the passport people in glasgow told me to take my birth cerificate and my driving license or provisional...

How can someone be expected to take there mothers birth certificate if they havent seen there mothers in 20 odd years?......should i track her down specificaly for her certificate lol...Where did you get that info from?

For a uk passport all u need is photo id and your birthcertificate and NI card as your NI number will proove how much u have earned and where u earned it...Thus proving you are a uk citizen

Or if travelling within the eu - you dont need a passport - driving licence will do

No it won't. A driving licence is enough to travel within the Common Travel Area (UK, Ireland, Channel Islands, Isle of Man) on, but it's not an acceptable document for entering the Schengen area, nor is it an acceptable document to enter any of the new EU countries on. You may (stress may) be able to use it to actually enter the countries, but you'll have a problem upon re-entering the UK. For that reason, it's highly unlikely that you'll be allowed to exit the UK on just a driving licence unless it's for internal CTA travel.

well the passport people in glasgow told me to take my birth cerificate and my driving license or provisional...

I wouldn't rely on their word, they're notoriously dodgy with what they say.

How can someone be expected to take there mothers birth certificate if they havent seen there mothers in 20 odd years?......should i track her down specificaly for her certificate lol...Where did you get that info from?

To get my passport, that's what I had to give them. They were more interested in my mother's birth certificate than mine - so you might have the same problem. I know it's a different scenario for those born before 1983, but the odds are that in the current security climate, they'll want proof that you're actually a British citizen.

For a uk passport all u need is photo id and your birthcertificate and NI card as your NI number will proove how much u have earned and where u earned it...Thus proving you are a uk citizen

How does that prove anything? It's entirely possible to be born here to parents of non-British citizenship and not be a British citizen, yet through whatever reason, still have a NI number, a birth certificate and a driving licence. You don't need to be a British citizen to get a driving licence either.

No it won't. A driving licence is enough to travel within the Common Travel Area (UK, Ireland, Channel Islands, Isle of Man) on, but it's not an acceptable document for entering the Schengen area, nor is it an acceptable document to enter any of the new EU countries on. You may (stress may) be able to use it to actually enter the countries, but you'll have a problem upon re-entering the UK. For that reason, it's highly unlikely that you'll be allowed to exit the UK on just a driving licence unless it's for internal CTA travel.

GOt to Greece and back on my provisional, germany and back and italy then back just slightly more paperwork

Your NI card or number will show them that you pay NI and where you earned it i pressumed.......As why else would they need you NI card/number?...Plus with your NI they can find out when you were issued it......And where.....I pressumed that was the whole point in getting an NI number when your born so our government can tax us as soon as we come of age.......Being born in 75 my NI number starts JC which again i pressumed nion everyones from that year did...

How does that prove anything? It's entirely possible to be born here to parents of non-British citizenship and not be a British citizen, yet through whatever reason, still have a NI number, a birth certificate and a driving licence. You don't need to be a British citizen to get a driving licence either.

Isnt it the case your parents can be from dfrent parts of the world but if your born in britian it makes u a british citizen?....Ive always believed that to be the case anywho....(both my perants are scottish same as me btw...My family tree can be traced in scotland back the the 16th century) :)

Your NI card or number will show them that you pay NI and where you earned it i pressumed.......As why else would they need you NI card/number?...Plus with your NI they can find out when you were issued it......And where.....I pressumed that was the whole point in getting an NI number when your born so our government can tax us as soon as we come of age.......Being born in 75 my NI number starts JC which again i pressumed nion everyones from that year did...

Still doesn't prove citizenship though, that's the thing. British citizenship is pretty damn hard to get, there's still a lot of people out there with British citizenship who don't have a right to even live/work in the UK due to their status.

Isnt it the case your parents can be from dfrent parts of the world but if your born in britian it makes u a british citizen?....Ive always believed that to be the case anywho....(both my perants are scottish same as me btw...My family tree can be traced in scotland back the the 16th century) :)

No, not at all. It used to be the case in Ireland until recently, but the law's changed there too. It's basically based on your parents though - the general idea seems to be that one of your parents has to be legally resident in the UK before you can get any sort of citizenship. It's a complicated area, but you'll be fine :)

What I would do is e-mail the passport agency and get a definitive answer as to your status. I looked into it and as you're born before 83, you *might* be okay with a provisional licence and some other ID, but I wouldn't rely on the provisional being enough proof. When I applied for mine, they weren't interested at all in the driving licence, so take that as you will.

Oh, final word of warning, they do check out the countersignatory - Hog can attest to being harrased by them when he signed mine ;)