aberdeen-music

Anyone ever had a Medicine/Dentistry interview for Uni?

A.Pel

What kind of stuff are they likely to ask?

I have found ''frequently asked questions'' to be:

1. If you were made director of the NHS tomorrow what would you do?

2. If you had 10,000 what would you do with it?

???

Seriously ?

Stupid fucking questions :swearing:

1. Is a management question

2. Has no relevance to anything

They'd be as well asking your favourite colour or "pop" group.

Seriously ?

Stupid fucking questions :swearing:

1. Is a management question

2. Has no relevance to anything

They'd be as well asking your favourite colour or "pop" group.

These are the kind of stupid questions that do turn up in medical interviews.

You might be asked about current develpments in the NHS, such as consultant revalidation and Modernising Medical Careers.

What aspects of your personality would make you a bad doctor?

I got asked this in my Glasgow interview. I think I fucked it up after telling them I had no bad qualities and that my personality and academic ability were completely compatible with the vocation.

I no longer study medicine, having a shitty job and playing music is much more satisfying!

:up:

They might ask about current issues in medicine, what you think about the importance of teamwork (and also is any one member of the team more important that the other etc).

Why you wanted to do the course in the first place, what you see yourself doing with the degree (if your answer is "I'm keeping my options open" then don't hesitate to say it, shows you've got a broad and open mind).

i. what do you want to achieve in medicine?

ii. How do you see your career in ten years time?

iii. what impact do you hope to make in the field of medicine?

iv, what do you think the job of being a doctor entails, other than treating patients?

v, imagine you are on comitee able to recommend only one of two new surgical treatments to be made available through the NHS. The treatments are and artificial heart for babies born with heart defects or a permanent replacement hip for people with severe arthritis. Both treatments are permanent, i.e. never need repeating, and are of equal cost. On what grounds should you make your arguments?

(those are questions apparently posed by Leicester med school, although I dunno about the last one).

Where/what you interviewing for?

My Glasgow interview was pretty rubbish, I think I went off on a tangent about MRSA.

Aberdeen was pretty good, although I can't really remember much as to what was said - it was relaxed though and the questions straightforward enough.

One of the most important things you can prepare for your interview, and something they will ask, is what attracts you to the medical course of the university you have an interview for. This is an question you can really have a stock answer for - it needs to be memorised to the point where you don't have to think about it. Speak to someone who is doing the course and find out the structure, the pros and cons of learning in that particular way.

Take your time to think through your answers, this looks good, and don't be afraid to lead the interviewers into asking you questions that you can give good answers to. They also like to know you have other interests outside of academics as this shows you are a well rounded person.

My Aberdeen interview, where I accepted a place, was a friendly and as relaxed as an important interview can be. Glasgow was rubbish.

You might also get asked about how to deal with underperformance - either your own or that of a colleage. You need to know about the responsibilities of a doctor in those situations, who you would approach and in what order. They might also ask you about your life outside of medicine (as Rock Austin said). Those things both came up in my interview for Glasgow.

Oh yeah, what you should also do is either get some experience in hospital (get a couple of days worth of shadowing, work in ancillary role) or just get to know the hierarchy - from porters to consultants. Everyone who works in a hospital is equally important to the smooth running of it so understanding roughly what each job involves and how they interact with each other is something that can be brought into any number of answers to questions. It will show a depth of knowledge and give them the impression that you are thinking beyond the 5 year course and into your career and also shows effort beyond you're academic ability.