aberdeen-music

Fish Tanks

Intravenous

I know we had a thread on this a few months ago but if I remember correctly it turned to drivel and no one actually posted pictures of their tank so I thought I'd try again.

ec7b192e.jpg

ec7b189c.jpg

ec7b181f.jpg

ec7b1787.jpg

ec7b16da.jpg

The tank is a Juwel Rekord 70, it contains:

4 angelfish

1 Vampire pleco, Spike

2 amano shrimp

1 guppy (deformed and living out her life in peace)

I also have a biorb, I guess I could try and take some pictures of that.

Edit: sorry for the shiteness of the pictures, I only have a cheap Nikon camera :p

4 angelfish

2 amano shrimp

surely that's a recipet for disaster! looks like a nice tank, but be careful with the angels, they can grow pretty big and if they reach full size ur tank will definatley be overstocked!

i used to have a rekord 70 aswel, but my brother managed to kill all my fish, and there is so much building work going on here that i retired it for a while :down:

surely that's a recipet for disaster! looks like a nice tank, but be careful with the angels, they can grow pretty big and if they reach full size ur tank will definatley be overstocked!

i used to have a rekord 70 aswel, but my brother managed to kill all my fish, and there is so much building work going on here that i retired it for a while :down:

The amano shrimp are too big to fit in the angels mouths but they did have a good peck when I first added them in. The shrimp usually hang out under those grass patches where they're out of reach from all the other fish though. I'd have thought the pleco would be the biggest risk seeing as his diet is pretty much completely made up of prawn :angel:. He's well fed any lazy thouigh.

I know once they reach adult size they will be too big for the tank, I'm working on it...I have a nice Juwel 180/240 sized gap in my lounge thats looking tempting :p .

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I'd have thought the pleco would be the biggest risk seeing as his diet is pretty much completely made up of prawn :angel:

What are you talking about? It's an entirely herbivorous species. Though if by 'prawn' you meant 'algae and other plants' then I understand your point.

What are you talking about? It's an entirely herbivorous species. Though if by 'prawn' you meant 'algae and other plants' then I understand your point.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not just to be annoying or if you actually think that ?(

How many catfish species have you kept? Or more to the point how many catfish species do you know of? By that blanket statement I'm guessing not many.

I can think of many catfish species that are entirely carnivorous. Vampire plecos are so called because they have fangs...you don't have fangs to creep up and chew vegetation :up: .

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not just to be annoying or if you actually think that ?(

How many catfish species have you kept? Or more to the point how many catfish species do you know of? By that blanket statement I'm guessing not many.

I can think of many catfish species that are entirely carnivorous. Vampire plecos are so called because they have fangs...you don't have fangs to creep up and chew vegetation :up: .

The only catfish species I can name off the top of my head are Plecostomus and Corydoras, which are the only ones I've kept. I have never heard of a carniverous Plecostomus, and if there are any, then I highly doubt that their diet is made primarily of prawns. However, I just looked for some info on the Vampire Pleco and it isn't even a real plec anyway. Hence, my statement was correct, your reply was irrelevent and your original point is still potentially valid :up:

"Plecostomos" and "corydoros" are not species of catfish...they are families of catfish. There are many different kinds of plecos and corys. The pleco family is divided into lots of different groups, most of which are classified by L numbers. The Vampire pleco is an L number so I don't know what you mean when you say its not a real pleco ?( ?

I don't know if there are any non herbivore corys, I wouldn't know, but there are many different carnivorous plecos.

The plecos you normally see in shop are "common plecos" or "bristlenoses" and they are herbivores. There are other more rare kinds you can get though and many of them are carnivores.

Yes, I doubt the main part of his diet would be prawns in the wild but I can't get him to eat anything else. He's so picky the only food he will eat is cooked prawns...he won't even eat raw ones.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Plecostomus' date=' pleco, or plec is a general name for a type of freshwater tropical Central and South American fish belonging to the family Loricariidae.

[/quote']

Leporacanthicus galaxias (Vampire Plec) is part of the Leporacanthicus genus in the family of Bony Catfish called Loricariidae.

Quoting your article:

"Members of the family Loricariidae are commonly referred to as suckermouth armoured catfishes, suckermouth catfish, suckermouths, armoured catfish, 'plecos' or simply 'plecs'; a shortened form of the species name plecostomus.

These names are used practically interchangeably when referring to the Loricariidae.

The name "Plecostomus" and its shortened forms have become synonymous with the Loricariidae in general, since Plecostomus plecostomus (now called Hypostomus plecostomus) was one of the first species imported into the fishkeeping hobby."

The article basically says the name pleco is pretty much interchangeable with the "Loricaridae" name and that "pleco" is just a broad term for all the catfish that fall into this family. I don't think plectostomus is a genera on its own.

look, i'm really bored of this argument

I agree, it is one of the more boring arguements I could have got myself involved in and I wouldn't normally have bothered...all I wanted was to post some pictures of my tank and to see some other people's tanks :rolleyes: . I just didn't take nicely to your unfounded statement that all plecos are herbivores and that I'm an ignorant twat for even suggesting otherwise. Why are we even arguing about whether or not my pleco is a "true" pleco or not ?( ? Whether we agree on that individual species or not it doesn't provide any support for your original statement that annoyed me enough to reply.

Anyway, I think thats enough. I'm sure we both have better things to do and talk about than catfish :p .

And its (wo)man actually, we've met :p . Or is "man" in that context a general term for females now too? Why a wire haired one?

Dunno why I made a male assumption.:laughing:

Why do I want a wire haired dashund? They are IMHO the bees-knees in the dogworld. I have to own one.